By design, window fans aren’t just practical but also highly versatile and convenient to use. These devices have come a remarkable way over the years, to the point where they can do the work of multiple appliances at the same time. As such, they won’t just cool your house but remove stale air from a room as well as any smoke or lingering odors that might trouble you. The best thing about them is that despite their multipurpose nature, they aren’t really all that expensive.
Unlike regular fans that need to be operated constantly, decent window fans enjoy roughly the same functions that a basic AC unit might have. At the same time, good window fans can be expected to last a whole lot longer than standard room fans on account of how they’re built. Having said that, we should point out that not all window fans are created equal and that some are definitely better than others. Over the next few minutes, we’ll take a look at the ten best window fans the market has to offer in our quest to find out the very best.
Best Window Fans – Reviews
10HowPlumb Portable Twin Reversible Window Fan
Equipped with two detachable covers, two snap-on feet, and a reliable remote, the HowPlumb Portable, Reversible Window Fan can be relied on to deliver on all fronts. Unlike others of its kind, this window fan also comes equipped with a fabric cover that attaches to the front of the fan to keep out hot air along with a bug screen at the back of the fan to keep out insects. Designed with 3 different functions including a cooling, exhaust, and a circulation feature, along with a remote control for ease in operating the device from a distance. Measuring approximately 23.5 inches wide and 12 inches high, this fan can easily fit windows sized at 23.5 inches to 37 inches wide.
9Optimus F-5280 7-Inch Twin 2-Speed Window Fan
Ideal for household use, the Optimus F-5280 Window Fan is a premium quality machine that features 2-speed controls. The powerful motor is water resistant and great for rainy weather along with optimum air delivery. Equipped with a manual reversible speed control, it is designed to pull in a cool breeze and exhaust stale humid and hot air out. Made from high-quality materials, this fan is portable, durable and comes in a classic white color. With built-in heavy-duty twin blades, it is bound to cool down rooms of any size in a relatively short time.
8Bionaire BWF0910AR-WCU Remote Control Window Fan
Known for its premium quality, performance, and durability, the Bionaire BWF0910AR-WCU Remote Control Window Fan is a high-quality device that produces fresh streams of cool air during hot summer weather conditions. Equipped with a digital thermostat it allows you to control the settings with ease and maintain your level of comfort. Thanks to its noise-free operation, it is an ideal solution to providing a cool breeze in your bedroom and living room space. Including 3 speed settings, it comes with a remote control along with electrically reversible, durable blades.
7Lasko Twin Electric Reverse Window Fan EA
Made from premium grade, durable plastic, the Lasko Twin Electric Reverse Window Fan features two-speed settings that are remarkably noise-free and dependable. Measuring an impressive 8 inches each, the blades are electrically reversible and offer a powerful cooling breeze. Thanks to its E-Z-Click expanded panel it allows a safe and secure fit onto any size window that measures 25 to 35 inches wide and 12 inches high or larger. The fan also comes with Snap-on feet that can be utilized for placing the fan on the table, counter-top or on the floor.
6Comfort Zone Twin Window Fan
This particular fan features three useful functions including a cooling feature, a circulation function, and an exhaust. Powerful, efficient and well-designed, it comes equipped with 2-speed button controls with reversible fan motors that are electrically operated. Designed to fit windows that measure approximately 23.5 inches to 37 inches wide, this window fan comes with detachable feet that allow easy tabletop use. Given its versatility, you are free to install the unit virtually anywhere in any way you see fit.
5Air King 9166F 20
Designed to circulate air in any room, the Air King 9166F 20″ Whole House Window Fan is crafted to fit all windows that measure 27 to 38 inches approximately. Thanks to its versatile design, the fan can be removed if you need to close the window at any point. Equipped with the latest Air King’s Storm Guard feature, it also allows you to close the window behind the fan during rainy or stormy weather conditions. Made from premium grade, impact-resistant, plastic with a powder-coated steel grid in the front and heavy-duty steel blades, it features a powerful motor that optimizes air cooling and circulation.
Equipped with an electrically reversible exhaust and intake motor, this heavy-duty window fan from Lasko measures 16 inches in size and can fit windows measuring 26.5 inches to 34.5 inches wide. Crafted to out stale humid air, its powerful motor pulls in the fresh air and keeps the room cool at all times. Thanks to its special Storm guard feature it allows you to close the window behind the fan when required. Lightweight, portable, and easy to mount, this window fan comes along with extended side panels that help provide a custom, secure fit.
3Holmes Dual Blade Twin Window Fan
Another premium quality product from the popular brand Holmes is the Dual Blade Twin Window Fan. Featuring 2-speed settings, this machine comes equipped with individual reversible motors that allow optimized air circulation, air intake, and exhaust. Constructed to fit most slider windows and double hung windows, this window fan is quite large in size, and yet it can be extended even further with the help of an extender panel for up to 37 inches.
2Holmes HBF2001DP-BM 20-Inch Box Fan
Crafted from heavy-duty metal and plastic, this box fan from Holmes is 20 inches wide and great for large and medium-size rooms. Featuring a robust construction, it comes with sturdy, durable feet for added stability. We should also point out that the fan comes with 3-speed settings and allows a customized control depending on the cooling required. At the same time, the grill can be removed and allows quick and easy cleaning. Furthermore, the blades feature a patented design and construction that allows optimum airflow and air circulation.
1Holmes Window Fan with Twin Reversible Airflow Blades
The Holmes Window Fan is a dual-blade machine that is more or less perfect for large rooms measuring up to 500 square feet. The blades are reversible and measure 6 inches each, which means that this reliable fan can produce a cooling breeze in no time. With two speed settings, it comes with a reverse-airflow setting that can be operated manually. What’s more, the motor is water-proof which helps when it’s raining outside. Made from premium quality materials, this window fan is designed to fit all kinds of windows including double-hung and slider windows. Thanks to its extended panel and adjustable extended screen, it can be utilized on larger windows as well.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Window Fan
It needs to be said that despite their commonality, window fans aren’t all built to the same standards, not by a long shot. In fact, some window fans are definitely more reliable than others, especially towards the high-end part of the price spectrum. Not to say that price dictates what quality you can expect, just that it is usually indicative of how easy the fan is to set up and maintain. Having said that, we should also point out that there are plenty of good ones in the low-budget segment, it’s just that you need to take the time to figure out which is which.
Just in case you didn’t know already, we should remind you that window fans can either pull cold air from the outside or push the hot air inside the room outwards. Seeing how there isn’t a universal standard for installing window fans, it usually comes down to personal preference and logistics. In this respect, the quality of its provided airflow will always depend on how the fan is positioned inside a room. On a related note, we should point out that some of the good ones also provide reverse functions but this isn’t something you can expect from basic models.
Types Of Window Fans
Although window fans look alike, they tend to differ in their operational parameters and general construction. At least from the outside, most window fans look nearly identical to the untrained eye, so we can understand why so many people fail the selection process. One thing to depend on, however, is the fact that many if not most of these units will fit inside the frame of an average window regardless of their technical specs.
- Single Fan Window Fans – These are the fans that feature only a set of blades, which is a more traditional design all things considered. Relatively small when compared with twin window fans, the classic single fan machines are perfect for regular windows on account of their design. What’s more, we should also point out that many of these single fan units come with installation kits to make the setup process easier.
- Twin Fan Window Fans – These units are equipped with not one but two sets of blades. Generally bigger than single fan models, these units can be relied on to maximize the circulation of fresh air inside a room of any size. As such, you can depend on them to provide a decent flow of air coming from the outside while a secondary set of fans pushes out the hot air from within. Needless to say, these machines are usually more expensive overall and understandably so.
Benefits Of Window Fans
- Fresh Air Circulation – Perhaps the greatest benefit of window fans is the fact that they can completely eliminate unpleasant odors from inside a room. This is partly the reason why people often install them in the kitchen but also why they sometimes set them up in rooms that get a lot of traffic during the day. Interestingly enough, many of these units also boast an exhaust function for a more rapid exhaust in times of need.
- A/C Supplementation – If you already have an A/C unit installed that’s struggling to meet its quotas, then you can definitely add a window fan to help with the job. This is because most A/C unit cannot actually clean the air inside a room, which is where the window fan comes into play. Combined with a decent A/C unit, a window fan can remove all unwanted odors from inside a room while helping with its climatization.
- Energy Saving – It needs to be said that decent window fans can do the job of not one but several room fans. As such, a good window fan can end up saving you a lot of money on electricity long-term, especially if you live in a warm climate where you are forced to constantly cool your household. If need be, you can even use such a fan to completely replace an old or inefficient A/C unit with the certainty that it will use less energy than an A/C unit in the long run.
- Easy Fit – Another great thing about window fans is that they are designed to fit most windows without the need for any further adjustments. Seeing how many of these units come with adjustable panels, you can easily install them in the frame of any window with minimal effort on your part. Once there, you can expect the unit to remain firmly in place regardless of the vibration or the weather outside.
- Versatility – Last but not least, try to remember that window fans are quite versatile in their design and that they will do the job of multiple fans at the same time. To some extent, you won’t just minimize operation costs for your A/C unit but replace it altogether. This, unfortunately, is something you can only expect from top-shelf models. Either way, even a low-end window fan can help ease an A/C unit’s job, thus reducing the overall workload for economic purposes.