It often happens that people get sick not at work or in any hazardous environment but in the privacy of their own homes. This is because of the high levels of microbes and allergens in the air inside their household, which often stress out your immune system to the point where you either get sick or you feel a little under the weather. The effects of contaminated air are even more dangerous for babies, toddlers, and small children, which is a good enough reason as any to invest in a whole-house humidifier if you haven’t already.
A good humidifier acts by diminishing the allergens and microbes in the air in a healthy and controlled manner. In the process, you get a cleaner air that can soother your allergies, prevent respiratory issues, and overall make the air healthier to breathe. Now, we should point out that whole-house humidifiers come in all shapes and sizes, especially the pricier ones. This is precisely why you want to do your homework before actually spending any money on buying one. To give you a better idea of what’s out there, we put together a list of the ten best whole house humidifiers money can buy.
Best Whole House Humidifiers – Reviews
The Ideal-Air Humidifier is a premium quality device designed to humidify spaces measuring up to 1,600 square feet on average. Portable, durable, and easy to operate, it is equipped with an industrial-grade, powerful motor that can provide a maximum output of up to 200 pints every 24 hours. Made from high-quality materials, this device can be utilized at home or in your office, providing you with clean, fresh air at all times. Measuring just 15 inches in height, this humidifier is quick and easy to set up and works directly with your water supply.
9Vornado EVDC300 Energy Smart Evaporative Humidifier
Highly efficient, the Vornado EVDC300 Energy Smart Evaporative Humidifier provides proper circulation of humidity around the entire home that can go up to 750 sq.ft. Thanks to its Energy smart DC motor, it uses up to 90% less energy as compared to other humidifiers of its kind. Delivering you with maximum output, its 1-gallon tank produces 3 gallons of output every 24 hours. Featuring an automatic shut off function, the device turns off when it runs out of water, and also comes equipped with a low-water alert that lights up when it’s time for refiling. It also comes equipped with multi-speed fan settings with an automatic humidity setting that delivers 40-60% output or a continuous output.
8Honeywell HE120A Whole House Humidifier
The Honeywell HE120A Whole House Humidifier is a premium quality device designed for humidification in small and medium-sized houses. Featuring an inbuilt humidistat, the humidity levels can be easily controlled as per your requirement. The humidifier also comes with an installation kit and can is easy to set up. Unlike most of its kind, it can be installed in a room or space without any drain. Designed to work alongside your furnace, this high-end device aims at maintaining a comfortable level of humidity around your home.
7Aircare 4DTS 900 Whole House Console Evaporative Humidifier
Uniquely designed to humidify homes up to 3,600 square feet, the Aircare 4DTS 900 Whole House Console Evaporative Humidifier features a large 5.7-gallon tank, producing an output of 11.5 gallons every 24 hours. Featuring a console-style construction, it comes with an inbuilt hygrometer, a 9-speed adjustable motor, and an automatic humidistat. Equipped with a digital control panel that is touch screen compatible, it monitors the humidity and automatically maintains the desired level. It also comes with an automatic shut off feature that turns off the device when water runs out or when the level of humidity is reached.
6PureGuardian Ultrasonic Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier
Equipped with the latest SilverClean Technology, the PureGuardian Ultrasonic Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier fights and prevents the growth of mildew and mold on the water’s surface, which is a very common issue with most humidifiers. Featuring ultrasonic technology, it is noise-free and stays quiet, making it ideal for utilizing while sleeping. Thanks to its SmartMist sensor it automatically monitors the amount of humidity in the house and adjusts the output to the required level. Designed with a large1.32-gallon tank, it does not require evaporating pads, wicks or filters and produces a warm or cool mist with an adjustable spray control.
5AIRCARE H12-400HB Whole-House Console Evaporative Humidifier
Crafted with the ability to humidify an area measuring up to 3,700 square feet, the AIRCARE H12-400HB Whole-House Evaporative Humidifier delivers 12 gallons of output every 24 hours. Made from premium quality materials and constructed with the latest console-style design, it aims at protecting your plants, furniture, electronics and your skin from dry harmful air. Equipped with analog controls, it features a digital readout that is easy to operate and understand. With a maximum runtime of up to 45 hours, this device comes with an inbuilt comfort sensory humidistat and a 4-speed fan.
4Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Great for home and office spaces, the Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier is a durable, noise-free device designed to produce clean fresh air. Featuring a 3-liter water tank, it is crafted to run up to 12 hours. However, if you have smaller rooms and the device is set to the low-setting, 3 liters of water can work its way up to 24 hours. Unlike most humidifiers, this one comes with a night light to help you sleep better along with a 360 mist nozzle allowing you to choose the direction you would like the moisture to be spread. It also features an automatic shut off function that turns off the device if the water runs out.
3Aircare EP9 800 Digital Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier
Another premium product from the popular brand Aircare is the EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative Humidifier. Crafted to humidify up to 2400 square feet of space, it features a digital humidistat which automatically controls the level of humidity around the house. Featuring a digital display screen, it shows the actual level of humidity, fan speed and desired level of humidity. Including 9 fan speeds, the device allows you to select your required humidity level to match your needs. It also comes with an automatic shut off feature that turns off the device when the tank is empty or when the humidity level is reached.
2URPOWER MH501 Humidifier
Equipped with a larger tank with a capacity of up to 5 liters, the URPOWER MH501 Humidifier can give out cool air throughout the night. Crafted with high-quality, durable materials, it features a black matte- finish body that would accentuate any room or space in your home. With a run time of up to 17 hours, it features a sleep mode and an automatic safety mechanism that shuts off the device when the water runs out, to help prevent overheating or short-circuiting. Easy to operate, this device comes with a single power button that controls the full device and special ultra-sonic technology that makes it noise-free.
1Aircare MA1201 Whole-House Console-Style Evaporative Humidifier
Known for its exceptional range of products, high quality builds, and exceptional performance, AirCare developed the Aircare MA1201 Whole-House Console-Style Evaporative Humidifier to cover up to 3,600 square feet, while boasting a digital humidistat that maintains the required humidity levels with excellent precision. The device also features a convenient automatic shut off function that turns off the device when the required humidity level is reached or when the water runs out. Easy to clean and maintain, the device comes with evaporative wicks that trap all mineral deposits without the need for belts, wheels, or pulleys.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Whole House Humidifier
Seeing how diverse these devices can get, it really pays to pay close attention to the exact specifications and characteristics of each individual device when pondering which one to buy. It often happens that two seemingly similar devices differ in their overall power, ease of use, or maintenance requirements. This should tell you a lot about the general nature of these devices and why you should figure out what device would best serve your needs. You do that by first understanding what you need the humidifier for, followed by an in-depth consideration of its specifications.
Characteristics Of A Good Whole House Humidifier
- Water Reservoir Change Indicator – It has become an industry standard for decent whole-house humidifiers to have a change indicator. This feature lets you know when it is time to change the water inside your humidifier’s water reservoir for it to run smoothly. Seeing how the process of refilling the reservoir would otherwise be quite tiresome if you constantly had to check the water level, a feature that tells you precisely when the reservoir needs refilling is paramount.
- Automatic Operation – A modern humidifier needs to run properly by itself at least to some extent, with top-shelf models being able to even operate themselves. In this regard, some will incorporate a hygrometer and a humidistat feature which have the purpose of highlighting the moisture levels inside a room. This way, the device will turn itself on and off according to the moisture and humidity levels inside a room.
- Low Water Cut-Off – Humidifiers sometimes incorporate a low water cut-off feature which serves the purpose of shutting the device off when the water level gets too low. This is designed to prevent the unit from heating up while trying to operate in the absence of actual water, thus preventing any long-term damage to the unit. Needless to say, this is one of the most important features a modern humidifier can possess.
- Overflow Protection – With humidifiers that you connect to your tap, there is always a risk that it might overflow by accident. This is where the overflow protection feature comes into play, a system designed to protect the device against accidental overflow. The system uses a float valve that automatically shuts off the water supply when it reaches optimal levels so that the device can run smoothly at all times.
- Corrosion Resistance – It is very important for any household device that operates in a humid environment to have some sort of corrosion resistance. This is the case with high-end house humidifiers which all boast some degree of corrosion resistance and corrosion-resistant pieces. A corrosion-resistant material build will prolong the unit’s lifespan and prevent any premature rust or anything of the sort.
- Mounting Frames – Seeing how many people prefer to mount humidifiers in elevated positions, it might make sense to get yourself a unit that packs mounting frames. With a mounting implement, you can incorporate the humidifier into any decor, at any height or elevation you see fit. This way, you get the option to connect the humidifier to any existing ductwork without having to improvise in any way yourself.
- Reversible Side Panels – You will find that some humidifiers have reversible side panels, which are designed to help you accommodate the unit according to the ductwork. A feature like this is bound to enhance your mobility and multiply your options to some extent. We should point out, however, that reversible side panels aren’t essential to the overall build of a humidifier so you shouldn’t expect all models to have them.
Consider the Capacity
One should always consider the capacity of a humidifier before buying and installing one into your home. This is because large humidifiers might end up causing condensation issues in the long run, which has a negative effect on the quality of the air you breathe. On a related note, try your best not to confuse the capacity of a humidifier with its moisture output because the latter might sometimes be larger than the actual water tank capacity of the unit.
The Compatibility Issue
Last but not least, bear in mind that your personal requirements should fit the unit’s specifications in almost every way possible. For instance, some people prefer a stand-alone humidifier in the traditional sense whereas others would rather just get a console humidifier which doesn’t really require an installation. On a related note, remember that temperature drops can take quite a heavy toll on your humidifier’s performance, so try your best to only employ the device when the temperature inside the room is above freezing level.