It hardly matters if you are an experienced vlogger or if you are on your way to setting up your first YouTube channel. What matters is that you employ a decent video camera for YouTube at this point in time because the platform has evolved quite a lot over the years. It used to be that anyone with a webcam could maintain a channel and deliver a reasonable flux of content on a regular basis. This has changed over time, a change fueled mainly by the advent of newer technologies and everything they involve.
If you plan on setting up a long-term channel, you will definitely need to invest in a decent video camera sooner rather than later. Now, it should be said that even your average smartphone can nowadays capture 1080p video, but you should rely on your mobile phone alone to process your captured content. This is especially true in regards to editing and sharing your videos as efficiently as you possibly can. To give you a better idea of what’s out there, we put together a list of the ten best video cameras for YouTube that money can buy right now.
Best Video Cameras for YouTube – Reviews
10AUKEY FHD Webcam
The AUKEY FHD Webcam is one of the most powerful webcams available and is perfect for making YouTube videos, live streaming, and processing other online content. The built-in CMOS sensor enables Full HD video recording at 1080p resolution and the stereo microphones are perfect for making calls on Skype. It works extremely well in low light conditions and lets you stay online at all times as it can be clipped onto any monitor, laptop, or even computer screen.
9Panasonic Lumix 4K Digital Camera
Fitted with a LEICA DC lens that offers 30x optical zoom, the Panasonic Lumix 4K Digital Camera is made for high-quality photography and video recording. The 18 MP sensor ensures that you only capture stunning images and video that includes 4K UHD video recording, 4K Photo, and 4K Post Focus Photos. The camera also has an Electronic ViewFinder and an LCD touch screen for maximum control. Thanks to its 5-axis optical image stabilization, you don’t have to worry about blurry images and videos.
8Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder
With the Canon XA11 Professional Camcorder, you can create HD quality video footage without having to worry about low light surroundings. It comes with a genuine Canon 20X HD Optical Zoom Lens that captures every single detail in true high definition resolution. The CMOS Pro Image Sensor enhances photo and video capture even under low light and the 3.0-inch LCD touch screen makes it easy to control. As such, you can use the camera to record videos in FHD or 1080p resolution which is great for YouTubers, action seekers, and for people on the go.
7GoPro Hero5 Black
The GoPro Hero5 Black camera comes with a long list of features and functionality options. The camera is capable of recording videos at 4K resolution and can capture photos with its 12MP sensor and can shoot in Single, Burst, and Time Lapse modes. One of the main features of this camera is that it is waterproof and can be used in depths of up to 33 feet or 10 meters. This action camera is great for taking videos in HD quality and can be used anywhere thanks to its compact and portable size.
6GoPro HERO 7 Black
GoPro is known for its action cameras but the GoPro HERO 7 Black is an excellent device for creating quality YouTube videos as well. This particular camera features HyperSmooth Video Stabilization technology that predicts the kind of movement and adjusts itself to give you shake-free recordings. Use the Time Warp feature to time-lapse long videos into more watchable content and with Super Photo technology, you will always get the best photographs in HDR quality. Furthermore, you can record anywhere and anytime thanks to its waterproof functionality which can be used in up to 33 feet of water.
5Panasonic Lumix G7 4K Mirrorless Camera
If you want high-quality DSLM images but don’t want the heaviness that comes with a traditional DSLR, the Panasonic Lumix G7 4K Mirrorless Camera is an excellent option. You will never miss another moment thanks to 3 4K Photo Modes that let you pause and save images while recording in 4K Ultra HD. The camera offers quick and precise autofocus options including AFS, AFF, and AFC along with manual focus. At the same time, the camera can record videos in multiple resolutions including 480p, 720p, 1080, and 4K.
4Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera
The Canon EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera is a powerful device when it comes to capturing images and videos for YouTube and is packed with features that truly stand out. It has an 18.0 MP APS-C CMOS sensor that captures HD quality photos and the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor ensures you only get the best when shooting. The device features a 3.0 inch LCD touch screen that lets you control the settings of the camera while also giving you a preview of the image. With it, you can record videos in 1080p FHD resolution at 30fps and comes with 9-point autofocus that helps you capture every moment in perfect video quality.
3Nikon D3300 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR
The name Nikon is considered as one of the most popular names when it comes to photography equipment and the D3300 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with Autofocus camera really stands out. This exquisite camera houses a 24.2 MP CMOS DX-format sensor that captures high-quality photographs and videos at an impressive 5 FPS continuous shooting setting. The camera offers 11 autofocus points with superior 3D tracking that locks onto moving targets as and when they enter the frame.
2Canon EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera
When you think of high-quality cameras, Canon is a name that really stands out and the EOS 70D Digital SLR Camera brings a lot to the table. It is fitted with a 20.2 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor that delivers crisp and clear photographs and videos. The 19 point cross-type Autofocus system helps you focus on what you want to quickly and has a 7 FPS shooting setting. Also worth mentioning is the fact that this ingenious camera has a 3-inch LCD touch screen for complete control while the intelligent viewfinder comes with an electric overlay.
1Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera
Sony is recognized around the world as a premium electronics brand and it’s Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera is a clear example of that premium quality. Housing a 24 MP APS-C CMOS sensor, this camera is capable of capturing HDR images and high-quality video content. The Hybrid AF has 179-point focal-plane phase-detection which ensures that you capture all moving objects quickly. With a 3-inch tilting LCD display, you can control all the settings on the camera while also previewing images and videos. Overall, it is one of the most practical and easy to use video cameras the market has to offer right now.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Camera For YouTube Content
When looking into the possibility of buying a modern video camera, you should first and foremost familiarize yourself with the common technologies that these devices incorporate. In principle, you need to be well aware of the camera’s specifics, how well it shoots still or moving videos, and of course, if it can share its contents on a range of platforms. In this respect, you want to understand the type of videos that you plan on recording, pay close attention to the features/accessories that each particular device comes equipped with, and to consider your available budget before committing to a purchase of any kind.
Types Of Cameras
- Point-and-shoot Cameras – These are by far the most widespread video cameras out there, the type of cameras that you can easily come across in any digital hardware shop. By design, these are compact cameras which deliver a certain versatility that larger cameras simply cannot match. Given the constant advent of new technologies, you can expect even the smaller ones to boast a range of pretty interesting features that only professional cameras used to incorporate back in the day. Interestingly enough, you will find that many bloggers have one of these in their arsenal and understandably so considering how insanely practical they tend to be.
- Mirrorless Cameras – When we talk about mirrorless cameras we mainly refer to hybrid devices that incorporate a lot of compact point-and-shoot cameras along with DSLR features. The term refers mainly to lightweight DSLR cameras with interchangeable lenses, which in turn is guaranteed to deliver fairly clear images. Needless to say, these cameras can get a bit pricey towards the high-end part of the technological spectrum and for good reasons.
- DSLR Cameras – DSLR Cameras (Digital Single-Lens Reflex) represent the highest possible standard of recording devices in the industry. These devices tend to incorporate large image sensors with faster ISO for the capturing of speedy shutter speed images. At the same time, these cameras have highly flexible ISO ratings that make them perfect for shooting in varying light conditions. Not just that but these cameras also tend to come with changeable lenses, a feature that allows you to change the lenses at will when you see fit. Furthermore, they also benefit from manual controls that make them fairly easy to operate.
- Smartphone Cameras – These are without a doubt, the easiest cameras to come by nowadays and as such, they can vary in performance from one model to another. The good part about shooting your videos with a smartphone is that you do not have to make any further investment past the initial purchase of the device. It also needs to be said that there are some pretty decent smartphones in the low-end part of the market, even though they rarely incorporate 4K capturing capabilities.
- Camcorders – Although camcorders have been around since forever, they have hardly evolved throughout the years. This makes the use of a camcorder for YouTube videos a bit problematic, mainly because they lack the newer technologies that even low-end smartphones incorporate these days. Not just that but even if you get a decent camcorder, you will still quickly run into the problem of sharing your videos after you’re done filming them, not to mention the tedious editing process that follows and the many conversion efforts you will be required to perform.
- Action Cameras – A surprisingly large number of YouTubers shoot their videos using action cameras like GoPros nowadays. This is because action cameras are compact in size, durable in strength, and impressively reliable when capturing moving pictures. Due to their remarkable durability, these cameras can also be used to shoot videos on the go, regardless of the lighting or the weather conditions. This is because many if not most of these cameras are waterproof by design.
- Webcams – Even though early YouTubers would often use webcams to record their videos, the technology has more or less stagnated throughout the years. In many ways, webcams are hardly capable of capturing videos of the quality that people are used to seeing nowadays. That said, it is still a viable solution for anyone who enjoys streaming the type of content that doesn’t necessarily focus on image quality. That said, you will find that even webcams can possess adjustable shooting angles and high-definition recording capabilities in the high-end part of the market.
Features To Consider
- Manual Mode – A decent camera for YouTube should definitely incorporate a manual mode to allow the users to fully control the exposure images it captures. In auto mode, many modern cameras select the aperture and shutter speed by default, which may seriously interfere with your ability to shoot videos over extended periods of time on account of how many readjustments you will need to do. The last thing you want to do is to start editing your footage and come across a section of the video where the auto mode picked the wrong lighting or exposure and thus, rendered that section of the video entirely unusable.
- Auto Focus – While manual mode has many benefits for experienced users, you also need to invest in a camera with a decent autofocus mode. This refers to the camera’s capacity to focus on a person or object within the FOV of the camera without causing the image to get blurry in any way. A good way to test that is to focus on objects that are close to you and quickly switch the focus to objects that are farther away. If the camera can maintain consistent image quality while you’re at it, then you should consider that particular camera good enough for shooting YouTube content.
- Image Stabilization – Another thing you want to consider when buying a camera nowadays is whether it possesses an image stabilization feature. This technology has the goal of reducing vibration and shakiness when shooting a motion video, which in turn reduces blurriness overall. For the most part, image stabilization technologies come in the form of the software inside the camera’s OS but they can also involve a stand-alone mechanism like camera gimbals. All things considered, you need to take the time and educate yourself on what constitutes a decent video camera and whether not such an investment is worthwhile in the long run.