A good toner can be used to clean, refresh, smooth, and moisturize the face in a safe and reliable fashion. With the help of a decent toner, you can prepare the skin for applying moisturizer or makeup. So in many ways, a toner can be used in a nearly curative way provided that you pair it with the right makeup. Then again, it may be a bit difficult figuring out what exact toner to use considering how many different versions there are and how much they can differ from one another.
People need to understand that toners should be used to help your skin absorb liquid while removing excess dirt, oily residue, and old makeup. At the same time, a good toner should correct and balance the pH level of your skin while controlling acne to some extent. That said, toners tend to differ in terms of formula, brand, and application. This is precisely why you want to learn as much as you can about what constitutes a good one before making a purchase. To give you some pointers, we put together a list of the ten best toners money can buy.
Best Toners – Reviews
10ProactivMD Balancing Toner
This exquisite toner from ProactivMD to makes it to our list by virtue of being a premium grade balancing toner by most standards. Unlike most of its kind, this toner helps in removing all traces of skin impurities, cleansing the skin from dirt, dust, and oil that clogs the pores. Crafted with an alcohol-free formula and a blend of premium ingredients, it helps balance the pH level and aims at minimizing the appearance of open pores in a safe and healthy manner.
9Proactiv Re-Texturizing Toner
Manufactured by the popular brand Proactiv, the Re-texturizing Toner features an oil-free and alcohol-free formula that contains salicylic acid and suitable for all kinds of skin, including sensitive skin. Tested and approved by expert skin specialists, this toner is highly recommended for those who have dry and rough skin. The toner not only hydrates and moisturizes the skin, but it also helps minimize pores and aims at preventing future skin breakouts. The glycolic acid present in its formula helps in removing dead skin cells and restoring the skins natural elasticity. For best results, this toner should be used twice a day to help even out the skin tone and clean pores.
8COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner
Created to optimize the flexibility of the skin, the COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner also works towards removing dead skin cells effectively. Thanks to its premium quality botanical ingredients present in its formula, this toner helps moisturize and nourish the skin, leaving it soft and smooth. Ideal for maintaining the pH level of the skin, it keeps the skin healthy, clean and hydrated and provides a natural glow. Unlike most products of its kind, it works wonders on sensitive skin and does not cause irritation or dryness.
7KLAIRS Supple Preparation Unscented Toner
Free from fragrances and scents, the KLAIRS Supple Preparation Unscented Toner is free from all kinds of essential oils. Crafted especially for those users who do not prefer any scent, this toner helps in moisturizing the skin effectively, leaving it soft, smooth and glowing. Not only does it cleanse and nourish the skin but it also helps in balancing the pH level. Containing a variety of high-quality ingredients and active elements like Lipidure and beta-glucan, it provides optimum hydration and also preps the skin for better absorption of other effective skincare products.
6Amara Beauty Facial Toner
Featuring a unique blend of essential organic ingredients, the Amara Beauty Facial Toner contains Vitamin C, witch hazel, aloe, MSM, Neroli and glycolic acid. Crafted to balance and restore the natural elasticity of the skin, this spray helps in minimizing pores, hydrating the skin and balancing the pH level without causing skin dryness and irritation. It also works as a prepping liquid that helps in optimizing the absorption of serums and skin moisturizers. Free from parabens, dyes, sulfates, fragrances, this toner is cruelty-free and 100% vegan.
5Thayers Natural Remedies Rose Petal Witch Hazel Mist Toner
Blended with high quality, all-natural botanical ingredients, the Thayers Natural Remedies Alcohol-Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Facial Mist Toner contains 195% more tannins as compared to other standard toners. Formulated to tighten pores, reduce oil production, control blemishes and acne and reduce dryness, irritation, and inflammation, the toner also helps in balancing the pH level of the skin. Containing gentle anti-oxidant properties, it helps cleanse the skin completely, leaving it soft, nourished and glowing for hours at a time.
4Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner
The Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner is a premium quality skincare product that has been uniquely formulated to soften and reduce fine lines and wrinkles while smoothening out and nourishing the skin. Packed with anti-aging ingredients and active elements including glycolic acid, alpha hydroxyl acid, and Aloe Vera, it helps in restoring younger skin, reducing dryness and dullness. Free from alcohol and safe for sensitive skin, this product is mild and gentle on the skin, ensuring it stays hydrated and moisturized throughout the day.
3Proactiv Revitalizing Toner
Designed to prevent pores from clogging, the Proactiv Revitalizing Toner is an alcohol-free skincare product that removes all traces of excess oil, dirt and skin impurities including dead skin cells. Formulated with botanical extracts of witch hazel, chamomile, aloe, vitamin B complex, and allantoin, it aims at refining the pores while boosting the growth of healthy skin cells. Furthermore, the toner also exfoliates the skin and helps balance the moisture and natural oils produced by the skin.
2Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner
Uniquely blended with all-natural ingredients and active elements, the Dickinson’s Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner aims at cleansing and conditioning the skin while minimizing pores, smoothening and balancing out the skin tone. Crafted to gently remove skin impurities like excess oil, dirt, and residue left behind after applying makeup, it thoroughly cleans out the skin leaving it smooth and toned. Including original witch hazel, this pore perfecting toner features an oil-free, anti-drying, vegan formula that is suitable for all kinds of skin including sensitive skin.
1KLAIRS Supple Preparation Facial Toner
Free from parabens and alcohol, the KLAIRS Supple Preparation Facial Toner hydrates and nourishes the skin, while smoothening out the texture and tone, ensuring a good pH balance is maintained at all times. Including high-quality plant extracts and other essential elements, it features a unique formula that is non-irritating, soothing and suitable for sensitive skin. Providing you with optimized hydration and quicker absorption of other skincare products, this toner helps prep the skin, cleansing the pores completely. Overall, it is one of the best toners the market has to offer right now.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
Finding The Perfect Toner
Considering the fact that toners are supposed to clean the skin and help remove build-up surface dead skin cells, you need to take the time and figure out what type of toner would best suit your needs. You do that by ensuring that the toner of your choosing can help clean and close pores while being beneficial for acne-prone skin in a healthy and practical fashion. A good way to make sure that you’re using the right stuff is to, first of all, understand the difference between toner and astringent. As it happens, some people tend to confuse the two presuming that they serve roughly the same purpose.
Toner Vs Astringent
Perhaps the best way to point out the differences between face toners and astringents is to consider the ingredients used in their formula. While toners are generally alcohol-free, astringent products are usually formulated with solvent alcohol of sorts. As such, most toners can be safely used to clean up the skin on a daily basis without the risk of causing any long-term damage to the skin. We say this because the alcohol content may be a bit drying when used repeatedly over time.
Determine Your Skin Type
It is very important for you to find out your exact skin type before buying a toner of any kind. This is because dry skin is often characterized as small-pored skin and thus, feels somewhat tight to some extent. Now, if you have dry skin, it might get flakey when the weather gets cold and therefore start cracking, peeling, and get itchy. Bear in mind that you are effectively stripping your skin of its natural oils when you wash your face or apply toner too aggressively.
- Oily Skin – Not many people realize this but oily skin tends to interfere with the way your toner works. We say this because oily skin has enlarged pores and looks quite shiny from the excess oil. When blotted with a tissue, it tends to showcase a lot of oil residue that also interferes with the way your toner works. Like we said, your skin’s natural oils and good bacteria may affect the way your toner deals with impurities.
- Combination Skin – Some people exhibit both an oily yet dryer than normal skin. The reason why this sounds complicated is because it kind of is. You see, some people can possess a skin type with larger than normal pores albeit one that also exhibits more oil in the T-zone area around your forehead, nose, and chin. In other parts of their skin, mainly the cheeks and side areas, they can instead have smaller pores and less oil.
- Sensitive Skin – Having sensitive skin can cause you an awful lot of problems with using cosmetics of a wide variety, not just toner. Those of you who already know about the plights of having sensitive skin will agree that some skincare products are either ineffective or difficult to apply. This is because sensitive skin can easily get irritated not just by cosmetics and beauty products but a variety of substances and environmental changes.
Choosing A Toner
We should point out that alcohol-free toners are always recommended for people with particularly sensitive skin. In fact, you should try one even if your skin is healthy enough to withstand alcohol-based formulas, not just for the health benefits but also for its long-lasting effects. Bear in mind that toners tend to be less effective if you spend a lot of time exposed to cigarette smoke, hot water, or if you enjoy eating spicy foods.
- Hydrating Toners – These toners are best used by people with dry skin, mainly for their skin hydrating properties. In this respect, try your best to find a toner with peptides, glycolipids, rose hips oil, dimethicone, glycolic acid, or jojoba oil. If you can, try to avoid products that contain alcohol, be it denatured, ethanol, isopropyl, or SD 40. At the same time, avoid toners that use sodium, lauryl sulfate, mineral oil, and petrolatum.
- Refreshing Toners – We refer to refreshing toners as being those toners that provide a gentle and refreshing feel on the skin. It is advised that you avoid alcohol-based toners if you have particularly oily skin because they tend to dry out the skin. Therefore, they may end up forcing your skin to produce even more oil, thus defeating the purpose of using a toner in the first place. Not just that but try to also avoid toners that contain oil-free ingredients.
- Gentle Toners – A gentle toner is one that contains a ‘mild’ formula by most industry standards. As such, this type of toner generally contains little to no acids whatsoever, so no salicylic acid or paraben. Instead, a gentle toner should contain beta-glucans, sea whip, white tea extract, and glycerin. These ingredients are well-known to possess anti-inflammatory properties on account of the antioxidants they are paired with.
- Multiple Toners – Not many people consider the possibility of employing two or more toners but they really should. You see, by using two toners in tandem, you can combine their comprising benefits to your advantage. For instance, you can use one of these toners during the hot summer months and the other one during the winter. In this respect, the summer ones should be a hydrating toner with ingredients intended to moisturize your skin.