While many of you would wrongfully assume that buying a toilet seat isn’t all that difficult, the sheer size of the selection pool is big enough to make anyone’s head spin. Even among low-end toilet seats, the good ones stand out through a particular set of features that sub-par models simply do not possess. Your job is to figure out what those features are so you can keep an eye out for them during the selection process and avoid buying one of the many barely adequate versions that have flooded the market in recent years.
Simplistic in their design, most toilet seats do not really impress stand out through their aesthetics, and yet the good ones definitely look a lot better than the bad ones. For the trained eye, the construction quality of a toilet seat tells you everything you need to know about their comfort, reliability, and setup difficulty. That said, for those of you who aren’t versed in the art of toilet seat selection, we put together a list of the ten best toilet seats the market has to offer at this point in time.
Best Toilet Seats – Reviews
10Round Closed Front Molded Wood Toilet Seat
Durable, noise-free, and very well-designed, this particular toilet seat comes equipped with hinges that can be adjusted to a remarkable standard. Easy to clean, the seat can be removed and replaced without the need for any tools or equipment. Designed to prevent pinched fingers, it closes with a slow tap and does not slam. Unlike most of its kind, this toilet seat is made from heavy-duty materials and features an inbuilt Dura-Guard that helps protect the seat from bacteria, mold, and mildew.
9American Standard Cadet-3 Round Front Toilet Seat
The American Standard Cadet-3 Toilet Seat is a quality toilet seat crafted from high-quality plastic with matching snap off hinges. Equipped with an EverClean surface, this toilet seat prevents the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew that causes staining and bad odor. Available in 3 different colors including bone, linen, and white, this toilet seat can fit most conventional toilets that are designed with a round front. Thanks to its telescoping lid, it helps in concealing the seat completely when closed and not in use.
8Renovator’s Supply Black Plastic Toilet Seat
Popularly known for its durability and comfort, the Renovator’s Supply Black Plastic Toilet Seat features a heavy-duty polymer construction that is flexible and ultra-durable. Equipped with the required hardware for installation and additional black bumper replacements, it comes with adjustable hinges that fit between 4 inches and 6.5 inches setups. Featuring an ergonomic design and impressively comfortable construction, this toilet seat is slow-closing and does not cause any unwanted slamming.
7Sanilo Elongated Toilet Seat
The Sanilo Elongated Toilet Seat is a slow-closing, anti-slamming, toilet seat designed to fit all elongated toilets that are manufactured by the same brand. Available in a wide assortment of beautiful patterns, color, and designs, this toilet seat is not only stylish and attractive but also strong and efficient. Easy to install, it comes with heavy-duty hinges that provide optimum durability and long life. Made from premium quality molded wood, the surface of the toilet seat is smooth, glossy, and extremely durable.
6Yunga Tart Raised Toilet Seat
Crafted with the ability to withstand up to 275 pounds of weight, the Yunga Tart Raised Toilet Seat fits directly on your toilet giving you a boost of up to 4 and 3/4th inches. Potable, durable, and light in weight, it fits most conventional round, compact and elongated toilets with ease. Easy to clean it comes designed with seamless edges and with a recess on the back and front for easy reach. The toilet seat also comes equipped with 4 anti-skid pads at the base for optimum grip and features a wider contoured surface for added comfort and optimum stability.
5AquaSense Portable Raised Toilet Seat
The AquaSense Portable Raised Toilet Seat provides up to four inches of elevation as compared to other traditional toilet seats. Crafted with premium grade polyethylene, it has the ability to hold up to 400 lbs of weight. Easy to get on and get off, it is crafted with a seamless design and sturdy construction. Light in weight, portable, and durable, this toilet seat fits most toilet bowls except for elongated toilet bowls and can be expected to deliver a reasonable standard of comfort.
4Toto SS114 01 SoftClose Elongated Toilet Seat
Featuring a heavy-duty ergonomic design and sturdy construction, the Toto SS114 01 SoftClose Elongated Toilet Seat stands out as one of the strongest out there. Thanks to its special SoftClose action, it also prevents slamming and helps in reducing injuries and pinched fingers. Constructed with impact-resistant, high-gloss Polypropylene, it features well-molded bumpers that help provide a good secure grip. Available in a range of subtle colors, this toilet seat fits most conventional elongated toilet bowls.
3Kohler K-4636-0 Cachet Elongated White Toilet Seat
Available in a wide range of subtle, classic colors, the Kohler K-4636-0 Cachet Elongated White Toilet Seat is uniquely designed to give you a no-slam, quiet experience. Equipped with heavy-duty bumpers that offer optimum grip, it helps with providing stability and ensures that you won’t experience any shifting to speak of. For easy removal and cleaning, it comes with quick-release hinges that can be detached without the need for any tools or equipment. Easy to install, this toilet seat fits most conventional elongated toilet bowls. Made from premium quality, durable plastic, it features matching colored hinges that add to its simple, yet classy outlook.
2Mayfair Elongated Toilet Seat
Made from eco-friendly, premium quality materials, the Mayfair Elongated Toilet Seat is designed to prevent pinched fingers and closes slowly without slamming. Thanks to its latest STA-TITE Fastening System, the seat will never get loose and will stay secure no matter how much you wiggle. Easy to install, it simply requires a wrench for setting up. Resistant to chipping and scratches, this toilet seat features an enameled wood construction with a high gloss finish that boots its classy design and appearance. Design-wise, it is one of the most aesthetically pleasing toilet seats the market has to offer in this price range.
1Bemis 500EC 000 Wood Round Toilet Seat
The Bemis 500EC 000 Wood Round Toilet Seat is a heavy-duty toilet seat that features easy clean and easy change hinges. Suitable for residential use, this toilet seat comes equipped with corrosion-resistant bolts and nuts that add to the overall durability and life of the seat. For easy removal and cleaning, the hinges just need to be twisted while the bolts remain on the toilet bowl at all times. Crafted with molded wood with an exceptionally glossy finish, it is resistant to scratching, chipping, and outer damage of any sort. Overall, it is one of the best toilet seats money can buy.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Toilet Seat
Even though most people don’t really spend too much time pondering about the specifics of toilet seats when buying one, they really should on account of how much they can differ from one another. The main differences tend to be in the design and accessories, but the differences can spread all the way to the construction, versatility, and general build quality. To be on the safe side, you should try your best to remember that toilet seats come in all shapes and sizes and that there are different types of toilet seats to choose from. If you do that, you will gain a better grasp of what toilet seats are all about and perhaps give yourself an advantage when it comes to making a purchase.
Types Of Toilet Seats
In principle, toilet seats fall into two categories – elongated toilet seats and round toilet seats, each with their own particularities. It is fairly important that you figure out what type of toilet you own before committing to any sort of purchase for obvious reasons. Trying to accommodate an oddly shaped toilet seat can be quite difficult it seems, a fact many people find out the hard way. It is also important that you understand the differences between the two to bolster your overall comfort when using them.
- Elongated Toilet Seats – These toilet seats feature an oval shape and are a bit longer than standard round seats. It is due to their elongated shape that people consider them to be a lot more comfortable than traditional models and also why they seem to be enjoying a rise in popularity in recent years. On average, these toilet seats measure around 18 to 19 inches and can be found in a variety of colors to choose from.
- Round Toilet Seats – Most of the toilet seats the market has to offer are round in shape, a traditional design that people have a hard time replacing for some reason. These are by far the most common toilet seats out there, the type you might encounter in any public toilet but also in many home toilets as well. You can expect these toilet seats to be a bit more affordable than their elongated counterparts and also to be slightly smaller in size.
Factors To Consider
Along with the price, there are perhaps more than a handful of things one needs to consider when buying a toilet seat. As we may have already pointed out, not a lot of thinking goes into such a purchase for the most part, which is partly the reason why so many sub-par models are being sold on a daily basis. To save you the trouble of acquiring a flimsy toilet seat, you should try your best to consider the build, shape, design, comfort, and ergonomy of a toilet seat upon buying one.
- Shape – The shape of a toilet seat, like we said, largely determines how comfortable the seat can be. While elongated seats are more comfortable, they need to be paired with a similarly shaped toilet, lest you end up in a situation where the seat wiggles around a lot. If you have a round shaped toilet do not despair, there are plenty of decent round toilet seats out there to choose from, mostly in the low-end part of the price spectrum.
- Materials – As far as materials go, most toilet seats are made using some sort of plastic. The plastic, however, can sometimes be paired with soft fabric in some models or padding of sorts to boost its overall comfort. At the same time, you need to consider the fastening elements as they determine how easily you install the seat on the toilet itself. Bear in mind that wood seats tend to be warmer than plastic models regardless of the room temperature.
- Padding – Speaking of construction, you should also pay attention to whether the seat comes with padding of any sort. Many people prefer soft padding for increased comfort, yet try to remember that padded seats are a lot more difficult to clean. Not just that but these seats are also generally warmer than plastic models, although maintenance can be quite tiresome in the long run because they require special attention and care.
- Ergonomy – One should also consider the ergonomic aspect when judging a toilet seat as it directly impacts their comfort and reliability. For instance, a decent seat needs to take up about as much as the toilet itself in diameter, with anything extra posing the risk of touching the walls and/or toilet bowl in a way that makes the seat difficult to rise or close. For instance, padded seats are a lot more likely to take up extra space than simple plastic models.
- Plastic Seats – Plastic is the most common material for toilet seats and understandably so considering how inexpensive it is as a material. Plastic toilet seats are by far the most widespread toilet seats in the world and they come in a plethora of designs, patterns, and colors. One thing to remember about plastic seats is that they take the temperature of the room they’re in, so expect them to be rather cold during the winter.
- Wood Seats – Although not as widespread as plastic models, wooden toilet seats are intended for a peculiar segment of the market. A lot more comfortable than plastic seats, wood seats are known for how comfortable they are and also for their durability. That said, you can expect these seats to be a bit more expensive than plastic seats for obvious reasons and also to be a lot more difficult to care for in the long run.