The reason why sweatpants are so popular nowadays is because of how widespread athleisure has become as a style of clothing, much thanks to how insanely practical it is. Whereas the first sweatpants ever made were intended solely for working out and playing sports, they have evolved quite a lot over the years from an aesthetic standpoint to the point where they are mostly worn as casualwear than for exercising purposes. Not just that but the constant development of more durable albeit flexible textiles has ensured that modern sweatpants will last a lot longer in regards to wear and tear.
Having said that, we should point out that not all sweatpants are manufactured to the same standards and that some are better than others. Depending on how they’re made, they can vary not only in durability but also in price and style. While the overall design of sweatpants does seem to share certain commonalities, the few exquisite pieces that have dominated the market in recent years tend to stand out for all the right reasons. To give you a better idea of what those are, we put together a list of the ten best sweatpants the market has to offer at this point in time.
Best Sweatpants – Reviews
10Amazon Essentials Women’s French Terry Fleece Jogger Sweatpants
Made from cotton and polyester, these particular pants are designed to provide a relaxed, straight fit along with soft French terry to make them comfortable when worn for extended periods of time. At the same time, they have spacious pockets and an elasticized waistband with an adjustable drawstring. Machine washable and relatively tough, these pants are fine-tuned to deliver a perfect fit and comfort, which may explain their recent rise in popularity.
9Champion Women’s Jogger Sweatpants
Thanks to a reliable elastic closure, these sweatpants from Champion stand out as some of the most well-fitted sweatpants out there. These pants have off-seam front pockets that make them rather practical, along with a tapered-leg design to ensure a tight fit. Not just that but they also benefit from a soft fleece construction with ribbed cuffs and a waistband with adjustable drawstring. Given their exquisite design, they are also rather pleasant to look at.
8Amazon Essentials Men’s Fleece Sweatpants
With these fleece sweatpants, you get a relaxed straight leg and elastic waistband design, one that also boasts a lounge-ready style in a casual fashion. For added strength and reliability, they boast on-seam side pockets with a 32-inch inseam for good measure. Designed to excel both in regards to comfort and practicality, these particular pants combine cotton and polyester in a finely built fleece that renders the pants not only practical but 100% machine washable as well.
7Leggings Depot Women’s Printed Activewear Jogger Cuff Sweatpants
Soft, stretchy, and impressively comfortable, these sweatpants from Leggings Depot should be seen as top performers in this price range. We say this because they deliver everything you can expect from an exquisite pair of sweatpants while boasting a rather affordable price tag. Construction-wise, let us point out that these pants are made using polyester and spandex in a sublime blend to ensure they will withstand a lot of wear and tear in the long run.
6Fruit of the Loom Mens Fleece Elastic Bottom Pants
Thanks to their cotton dominant, lightweight fleece, these interesting pants from Fruit of the Loom deliver a high standard of softness and comfort. To be more precise, they feature a 60% cotton and 40% polyester build that makes them rather practical by most standards. At the same time, the pants benefit from a self-fabric waistband triple-needle covered elastic waistband and a tacked drawcord for good measure. Overall, they are by far some of the most durable sweatpants in this price range.
5Champion Women’s Fleece Open Bottom Pants
Equipped with a rather comfortable yet highly reliable elastic closure, these sweatpants from Champion are among the very best out there. We say this because they employ a polyester & cotton blend that makes them very comfortable when worn for extended periods of time. Not just that but they also benefit from a design that ensures minimal shrinkage upon washing them, which can also be done via washing machine. It also needs to be said that they feature brushed insides for added softness and that they have an open leg design for a more feminine look.
4Fruit of the Loom Men’s Pocketed Open-Bottom Sweatpants
These are without a doubt, some of the most comfortable sweatpants out there. They owe their impressive comfort standards to a 60% cotton and 40% polyester construction, one that makes them machine washable and fairly durable long-term. At the same time, the pants enjoy an open-bottom design with a cotton blend that features an elasticized waistband with drawcord and side pockets. Furthermore, they tend to be very easy to care for maintenance-wise on account of their easygoing coloring.
3ProGo Men’s Casual Jogger Sweatpants
It isn’t just reliability and comfort that these particular sweatpants have to offer but an added bit of style as well. By design, these pants are made to appear and feel more luxurious, which may explain why they currently enjoy such a rise in popularity. Construction-wise, they boast a tech fleece design for added comfort, a design that also makes them shrink resistant, fade-resistant, and machine washable at a low-temperature setting. We should also point out that their cotton + polyester blend makes them a lot softer than most sweatpants in this price range and for good reasons.
2Hanes Women’s EcoSmart Sweatpants
Thanks to an open-bottom design and a broad knot waistband, these sweatpants aren’t just trendy but comfortable as well. Made from a blend of cotton and polyester, they can withstand a lot of abuse before showing any signs of damage, which means that they can be worn for almost any type of activity. Although they do not have any pockets, they make up through a low-pill fabric that makes them incredibly comfortable to wear, even for extended periods of time. Not just that but they are also quite breathable by design, which is definitely something to look for in a pair of sweatpants.
1Champion Men’s Closed Bottom Light Weight Jersey Sweatpants
These particular sweatpants from Champion are considered some of the very best out there and it’s easy to see why. Not only do they benefit from a cotton + polyester construction of the highest quality but they also boast a lightweight, comfortable cotton jersey fabric with handy side pockets for good measure. Thanks to an athletic fit for added comfort and an internal quick cord waistband for an adjustable bit, they are seen as some of the most practical sweatpants the market has to offer. Furthermore, they also feature a relaxed elastic bottom band and a machine-washable construction that makes them very easy to care for.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Pair Of Sweatpants
While it used to be that sweatpants were used exclusively for working out back in the day, they can nowadays be used for leisure as well. This is particularly true for big brand sweatpants, the type that dominates the high-end part of the market. To ensure that you’re getting the right quality, you should first take the time and learn as much as you can about what makes a good pair of sweatpants and what characteristics to look for when buying some. Bear in mind that sweatpants come in many different forms, not just in regard to their construction but also design-wise from an aesthetic point of view.
Types Of Sweatpants
- Traditional Sweatpants – As the name suggests, these are classic sweatpants by design, the type that you can expect to be comfortable, soft, and quite roomy. Some are even baggy to some extent, which makes them all that more comfortable. It should be said that traditional sweatpants tend to have adjustable drawstrings around the wais or elastic waistbands that expand according to your waist. Not just that but the sweatpants may also have cuffs that are either loose or elastic depending on their construction.
- Relaxed-fit Sweatpants – These sweatpants are designed to provide relief for people who desire a comfy pair of sweats along with the comfort of free movement and breathability. As such, these types of sweatpants provide extra space around the seat, tighs, and legs, without making them uncomfortable in any way. Not just that but these types of pants are also guaranteed to fit almost anyone on account of their elastic waist and their adaptable design.
- Cropped Sweatpants – With these types of sweatpants, you get a ‘Capri’ style of pants with means that they only reach down above the ankle. For this reason, most of the cropped sweatpants on the market are aimed at a female clientele, mostly because it is more common for women’s sweatpants to boast such a design rather than men versions. On a related note, you can also find cropped sweatpants in the form of high waters or joggers, which more or less describes what people tend to use the pants for.
- Tailored Sweatpants – Whereas women’s tailored sweatpants are oftentimes referred to as ‘skinny’, the men’s version is commonly called tailored. Either way, the tailored or skinny sweatpant design is intended to be tapered through the leg, which is why their comprising fabrics are thinner and more breathable. At the same time, these types of sweatpants are likely to boast cargo pockets or striped waistbands for practical reasons. You will also find that popular models tend to have elastic cuffs for aesthetic reasons.
The material construction of a pair of sweatpants represents one of the most important criteria when choosing a pair. You see, the fabric determines how comfortable you will be wearing the pants because it will be rubbing against your skin as you work out. In this respect, you need to pay close attention to the fabric blend and to how well it’s sewn together. To be more precise, here are the most common materials manufacturers use when making sweatpants.
- Cotton & Cotton-polyester – These blends are extremely comfortable when worn for short periods of time, but bear in mind that when you wear these pants for too long, the polyester makes it a bit difficult for your skin to breathe. At the same time, the more cotton the sweatpants have the less effective the pants will be at wicking away moisture. On the other hand, the more polyester the pants have the less breathable they are.
- Polyester & Nylon – These are the best possible materials to have in a pair of sweatpants as long as you’re looking for flexibility and freedom of movement. This is because pants made of polyester and nylon are generally quite light in weight and easy to care for. That said, we should point out that polyester isn’t that great for wicking sweat away, a disadvantage it fully makes up for when it comes to its impressive durability and strength.
- Fleece – There is also the option of getting fleece sweatpants, which have many benefits of their own. For instance, fleece sweatpants are commonly made from heavy cotton-polyester blends which are flat on the outside and fuzzy on the inside. This means that the pants will be soft and will keep you insulated from the cold outside. The only downside to fleece sweatpants is the occasional sweat build-up inside the pants as a result of their thickness.
- Spandex – It should be said that spandex is neither warm, breathable, or durable, but boy is it flexible. You see, spandex is perfect when it comes to achieving a tight fit, many thanks to the elasticity of the material. This makes spandex sweatpants perfect as activewear on account of their flexibility and capacity to wick away sweat. At the same time, these types of sweatpants are perfect for any activity that requires a lot of stretching on a regular basis.
What To Consider:
- The Weight: It is important that you pay close attention to the weight of the pants as they can really slow you down when working out. Not just that but cumbersome pants are sure to render your workout sessions more ineffective by constricting your ease of movement.
- Leg Length: You also want to pay close attention to the length of the legs as they determine what general use you might have for the pants in the first place. While sweatpants with shorter legs are good for indoor working out and stretching, lengthier pants are perfect for running outdoors as you can tuck them into the shoes if need be.
- The Waistband: A taller waistband should always be considered when choosing sweatpants as it can provide you with the freedom you need for a variety of exercises. At the same time, a reliable waistband also gives you extra room to move in.
- The Leg Opening – One should always consider a pair of pants’ leg opening, especially in the case of sweatpants. If you can, go for a pair that boasts an elastic band or a ribbing at the bottom for added strength and an overall tighter fit.