Microwave popcorn is an invention that revolutionized how people enjoyed their snacks. In the past, if someone wanted to enjoy a tasty bowl of popcorn, then they either had to warm up their favorite kettle or load up their popcorn machine. Now, all they have to do is take a bag out of its plastic, place it in the microwave, and they’re approximately 2-1/2-minutes away from enjoying a delicious high-quality snack to go with their favorite movie.
This product’s convenience and ease-of-use resulted in such a proliferation of microwave varieties that it can be difficult for the average consumer to separate the really great varieties from the ones which are merely so-so or average. To help people find the best microwave popcorn varieties available, we’ve decided to rank them, so consumers know exactly what they’re buying.
Best Microwave Popcorn – Reviews
10Orville Redencacher’s Melt-On-Caramel
Okay, this microwave popcorn may not get the highest marks for being healthy, but its salty sweet goodness does give the tastebuds a little bit of a jolt. This pack contains 12 bags that are filled with 2.19-ounces of popcorn that once popped can be topped with a delicious caramel that will make you wonder how you ever managed to get by without eating caramel popcorn. While this popcorn does pack twice the amount of calories of conventional popcorn varieties, it also packs in quite a bit of taste. This makes it great for an afterschool snack or for movie night.
9Amish Country Ladyfinger Butter
Amish microwave popcorn may seem like an oxymoron, but in fact, it’s a delicious type of popcorn made from some of the most wholesome ingredients you’ll find. This product starts with American grown, manufactured, and packaged corn that’s high in fiber and gluten-free. This high-quality popped corn is then packaged in a microwave bag so that it can be easily popped in the microwave. This results in a tasty and wholesome product that’s made with non-GMO corn, is free of peanut and tree allergens and delivers a great taste that can’t easily be beaten by other commercial popcorn varieties available.
8Spontaneous Combustion Ghost Pepper
Unfortunately, most popcorn varieties have gotten a reputation for being boring. However, that’s no longer the case thanks to this special kind of microwave popcorn. Made with ghost peppers, some of the hottest peppers available, this popcorn variety has created a product that’s destined to wake up the eater’s taste buds. Although it’s not as hot as you would imagine it to be, it does provide a great flavor profile that’s unlike any other type of popcorn you’re likely to eat anytime soon. They would appear to be the perfect combination of saltiness and spiciness, and they provide more than enough kick to make a person feel alive.
7Pop Secret Homestyle
Supposedly made from a secret family recipe and passed down through the ages, Pop Secret Popcorn is a product that has created quite a flavorful flavor profile. This product pops up into kernels that are nice and fluffy and dripping with some pretty exceptional butter flavor. Every bite of this popcorn seems like it wants to melt in your mouth and it seems to have just enough salt to tickle the taste buds of the person eating it. It’s a 100% whole grain product that is made with non-GMO corn and only has 30-calories per cup. Not too bad for a product with a nice buttery taste.
6Jolly Time Blast O’ Butter
It seems like just about every other microwave popcorn on the market claims to be the best brand for movie night, but unfortunately, many of them fall short. However, this brand does come pretty close to delivering the perfect movie theater popcorn experience. And that’s not really surprising considering the company that makes this product has been making quality popcorn since 1914. In fact, it was one of the first popcorn brands manufactured in the U.S, so it’s not surprising that they have elevated the art of popping corn to new heights with this high-quality movie theater microwaveable popping corn.
5Quinn Snacks Real Butter & Sea Salt
Quinn Snacks like to think that their Real Salt & Butter Popcorn is microwavable popcorn that’s been reimagined and they may just be right. This product is engineered from the ground up to be tasty, delicious and wholesome. From the organic non-GMO corn kernels that are grown in America’s heartland, to the design of their bag made with recyclable paper, to the pour-over ingredients that use absolutely no trans-fats, hydrogenated oils or PFOAs whatsoever. This makes a product that’s free of artificial ingredients and preservatives, but also one that tastes as good or maybe even better than any other brand of popcorn available.
4Kirkland Signature Butter Flavor
This product promises a high-fiber and gluten-free microwave popcorn, and they deliver on that promise and even more. This popcorn they have created is also some of the best tasting movie theater popcorn that can be tossed into a microwave. This product pops up nice and fluffy and has the buttery, salty goodness you would expect from a quality popcorn product. Best of all, however, is the fact that it’s only made with a handful of ingredients which include whole grain popcorn, modified palm oil, salt, natural butter flavors, and natural flavors. That’s all it takes for them to create great microwavable popping corn.
3Orville Redenbacher’s Movie Theater Butter
Although not everyone may be familiar with the commercials that Orville Redenbacher appeared in during the late 1970s and early 1980s, most people are probably familiar with the popcorn that bears his name. That’s because this product has become the mark of popcorn excellence. That’s because it’s made from high-quality non-GMO popcorn kernels that pop up fluffy, crunchy and oh so tasty. Also, it’s movie theater popcorn is one of the few varieties that use actual butter in its formulation to achieve a buttery taste that’s free of artificial flavors, dyes or preservatives. Anyone looking for a quality movie theater microwave popcorn may want to take a close look at this product.
2Jolly Time Kettle Mania Sweet & Salty
If you pulled the average person off of the street and asked them whether or not it was possible to create the perfect kettle corn flavor in the microwave, they would probably laugh in your face. However, that’s precisely what Jolly Time Kettle Mania has managed to achieve. They have created a sweet and salty popcorn flavor that tastes almost identical to the batches of hot kettle corn whipped up at county fairs and carnivals all over the U.S. Although not everyone enjoys a product that’s both salty and sweet, for people who do, this product is one they are going to want to keep in their cupboards.
1Black Jewell Premium Natural
Modern consumers have high expectations of all of their food products, so why should it be any different for popcorn? Fortunately, this natural microwave product is ready to deliver them the wholesomeness they desire, but do it without sacrificing texture or taste. This product is made from high-quality snow white popcorn that pops up nice and fluffy each and every time it’s popped. Its kernels have less hull than smaller varieties, so they can deliver the large size that consumers demand. And since this popcorn is made without any hydrogenated oils, without any trans-fats, and without any gluten, it’s a healthy product to eat.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
A Guide To Microwave Popcorn
Microwave popcorn has received a sort of a bum rap over the past several years. People have complained that they don’t feel that this product compares to the quality level of the popcorn that can be made on the stove top or in a popcorn machine. And frankly speaking, that is simply not true. If you select the best microwave popcorn available, then you can end up with a delicious bowl of popcorn that is 100% as good as popcorn made using any other popcorn method.
To help restore the reputation of microwave popcorn, we’ve decided to put together this little guide. Not only will we dispel the myths often associated with this product, but we’ll also show you just about easy it is to make this product for your friends and family. So, if you’re ready for use to drop some information on you, then let’s get started talking about this great product.
Top Microwave Popcorn Myths
Microwave Popcorn Contains Diacetyl: Let’s be perfectly clear here, microwave popcorn used to contain the chemical diacetyl—a product that has been associated with various lung disorders when it’s breathed in. However, microwave popcorn manufactured today doesn’t contain that ingredient because most manufacturers began phasing it out of their products in 2007 after a variety of lawsuits were launched. Now, most brands are free of this ingredient, so consumers can enjoy their popcorn with confidence.
- Microwave Popcorn Is Unhealthy: Although it’s true that most microwave popcorns contain butter and/or salt, most microwave popcorn is a healthy snack that can be enjoyed with confidence. Most movie theater popcorn varieties are anywhere from 35 calories to 40 calories a cup, and there are many varieties which don’t have any added salt. The consumer should be picky about what type of microwave popcorn they buy, but they shouldn’t feel like there aren’t healthy choices out there because there are. Besides, popcorn is high in fiber and has antioxidants in it that can be a healthy part of any diet.
- Microwave Popcorn Contains PFAOs: This myth used to be based in fact but isn’t anymore. PFOA, or perfluorooctanoic acid, is an ingredient that’s been added to candy wrappers, fast food burger wrappers, pizza box liners, and yes, it was even used in microwave popcorn bags. However, since 2007, popcorn manufacturers have been aggressively removing this chemical from their popcorn bags. As a result, bag manufacturers have recently confirmed that these bags no longer contain this chemical.
- Any Popcorn Can Be Popped In Any Bag: One of the biggest myths is that a person can buy ordinary popcorn kernels and place them in a paper bag for microwaving. This is simply not safe because not only do you not know what chemicals may be introduced to the popcorn by the plain paper bag but it may also catch fire. If you don’t want to buy ordinary microwave popcorn, then buy a special bowl for the microwaving of standard popcorn. That’s a lot safer of a solution than placing kernels in a lunch bag.
Microwave Popcorn Cooking Tips
Okay, now that we’ve dispelled some of the myths around this product and have selected the best microwave popcorn for our homes, it’s now time to pop that corn into a delicious and fluffy snack. Here’s how to do it:
- Always use a clean microwave to make popcorn.
- Microwave a cup of water for 30-seconds prior to popping corn (make sure to remove it before making the popcorn, however.)
- Always make sure that you make the popcorn before its “Best By” date.
- Make sure to remove the popcorn’s plastic overwrap before popping.
- Never use the popcorn button to microwave popcorn.
- Never leave popcorn in the microwave unattended.
- Pop the product according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Give the bag a little shake before opening to distribute its contents.
- Be careful when removing the popcorn from the microwave and when opening it.
- Pour the popcorn in a bowl to distribute the flavorings and create a tastier popcorn.
Add Our Special Seasoning
If you really want to take your microwave popcorn up a notch, then pour it into a bowl and pour our special seasoning over it. Here’s how to make it:
Parmesan Garlic Herb Shake
- 5-Tablespoons grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1-Teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1-Teaspoon of Basil
- 1-Teaspoon of Oregano
- 1/2-Teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Mix all of these ingredients together and place into an empty salt shaker. When your microwave popcorn comes out of the microwave, pour it into a bowl and shake our Parmesan Garlic Herb Shake on it. Now you’re in store for a truly epic movie night.