It would be safe to say that maternity leggings represent a wardrobe essential for women who are expecting, no matter how far along they are with the pregnancy. We say this because these types of leggings can be expected to provide much greater support than regular leggings, especially around the tummy and lower body areas while also enhancing blood circulation throughout the legs. Not just that but they are also extremely comfortable overall, a comfort that many women demand when they’re expecting, for peace of mind and to help them rest.
Having said that, we should point out that not all maternity leggings meet the same standards, not by a long shot. In fact, the good ones can serve an almost therapeutic and medicinal purpose whereas low-end sub-par models can barely provide the necessary support. It is for this reason that you want to learn as much as possible about what constitutes a good pair of maternity leggings before committing to a purchase. To help you through, we put together a list of the ten best maternity leggins the market has to offer at this point in time.
Best Maternity Leggings – Reviews
10Maaci Women Maternity Over The Belly Lounge Comfy Pants
The Maaci Women Maternity Over The Belly Active Lounge Comfy Capri are a high-quality pair of cropped pants that feature a blend of 95% polyester and 5% spandex. Designed with open pockets, these leggings feature a wide panel coverage that offers you with optimum support in the belly region, without putting on any pressure. Ideal for working out, yoga, or just for wearing at home, these maternity leggings feature intricate detailing that is stylish along with an attractive silhouette.
9Vocni Women’s Comfortable Maternity Cotton Leggings
The Vocni Women’s Comfortable Maternity Cotton Leggings are premium-quality maternity pants that are specially designed to provide belly support to pregnant women. Crafted from 92% cotton and 8% spandex material, these leggings offer optimum comfort and softness to you and your baby. Featuring an adjustable waistband that can be increased as your belly grows, these pants can be worn throughout your pregnancy period. Available in a range of colors and patterns, they can be teamed up with your favorite top and sneakers, leaving you looking stylish and attractive.
8Foucome Women’s Maternity Leggings
Featuring a simplistic pull-on closure, these particular leggings are crafted from 93% polyester and 7% spandex material. Providing superior softness and comfort, these maternity pants provide an additional layer of protection for your baby bump. Uniquely lined with high-quality fleece with a durable seamless waistband, they not only keep you warm and cozy but provide you with a snug fit as well, which is definitely something to look for when buying maternity leggings.
7HyBrid & Company Women’s Super Comfy Maternity Leggings
Known for its stylish range of patterns, the HyBrid & Company Women’s Super Comfy Maternity Leggings come in a variety of colors and designs to match your every outfit. Crafted from a high-grade stretchable fabric with a tailored finish, these pants offer optimum back support and help with your posture. Alongside this, it also supports your growing belly, giving you a comfortable seamless fit. Ideal for wearing while you work out or while doing your daily chores, these leggings are great for lounging in and can also be paired up with a top for a casual outing. Providing you with a tapered, full-length contoured fit, these leggings will leave you with flattering curves and enhanced flexibility.
6Terramed Just Think Comfort Maternity Leggings
Providing you with enhanced comfort and support, Terramed Just Think Comfort Maternity Leggings feature a 4-way stretchable fabric that is ultra-soft, silky, and quite smooth. Made from premium-grade materials, these pants are OEKO TEX certified and free from harsh chemicals. Resistant to pilling, flexible and ultra-durable, these pants offer maximum breathability and stay in shape no matter the activity. Designed with a silicone elastic band in the waist section, it ensures these pants stay up and also work towards providing support in the lower back area.
5Motherhood Maternity Under Belly Full-Length Leggings
Featuring a blend of 96% cotton and 4% spandex, the Motherhood Maternity Under Belly Full-Length Leggings are the perfect accessory to pregnant mothers. Ideal for layering, this pair of imported leggings offer a pull-on closure that makes it easy to put on and take off. Designed with a stylish crisscross band at the belly, these leggings can be worn around the house or paired with a tunic top or tee-shirt for a casual outing. Available in black and grey, these leggings come in different sizes that range from small to extra-large.
4Shop Pretty Girl Maternity Leggings
Designed with a high-waist pull on closure, the Shop Pretty Girl Maternity Leggings offer complete coverage of the belly and crafted to embrace your body. Soft, durable, and highly comfortable, these leggings are stretchable and feature a high-density knit fabric that enhances comfort. Measuring 0.7 inches high and 14 inches wide, these pants can be worn while you work out during your pregnancy while lounging at home or for a casual outing. Providing you with an extra layer of protection for your baby bump, it is ultra-breathable, supportive and features a stylish finish.
3BLANQI Everyday Maternity Belly Support Leggings
Ideal for wearing between the 1st and 3rd semester of your pregnancy, the BLANQI Everyday Maternity Belly Support Leggings are designed to grow and expand with you till you reach your due date. Featuring multiple layers of compression, these pants offer optimum comfort and support for your baby, along with enhanced breathability. Made from a high-density soft and luxurious microfiber yarn, the pants offer a seamless fit that does not cause itchiness or irritation.
2Maternity Over The Belly Super Soft Support Leggings
Available in a range of different colors and sizes, these Maternity Over The Belly Super Soft Support Leggings from Rumor Has It are crafted to perfection. We should also point out that these pants are custom-made to expand over the belly region, providing you with support and protection, while holding it snug and in place. Featuring soft fabric that is both light and breathable, these leggings are moisture-wicking and aim at keeping pregnant mothers cool and comfortable at all times.
1Essentials for Mothers Maternity Pregnant Women Leggings
Crafted from 92% polyamide and 8% elastane, the Essentials for Mothers Maternity Pregnant Women Leggings offer maximum back support and help with your posture during pregnancy. Available in unique patterns and designs, the fabric is stretchable and provides you with enhanced belly support. Perfect for everyday use, these leggings can be paired with a cute tunic or top and can be worn indoors or outdoors. Resistant to moisture, they are comfortable, thick, and work great for mothers with large tummies. Overall, these are some of the most flexible and reliable leggings money can buy.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For When Buying Maternity Leggings
Finding good maternity leggings may prove a bit more difficult than people realize, especially if you’re doing it in a hurry. Due to the fact that the market has been overwhelmed by sub-standard leggings and yoga pants in recent years, the chances that you’ll find a good pair without prior research are slim to none. What you want instead is to educate yourself on what constitutes a decent pair of leggings and what exactly to avoid when making a purchase. Before we delve into the do’s and don’ts of legging purchasing, let us first understand why these pants are so popular and what features a decent pair should possess.
You will find that most leggings are made of elastane, polyamide, cotton, and spandex for the most part, along with any combination of the four. Although there might be some fairly different types of leggings out there, these are by far the most common materials used in the making of quality leggings and yoga pants of a wide variety. Along with them, manufacturers sometimes include some type of fabric to help with the pants’ breathability and overall comfort. As such, look for leggings that include a stretchy material like spandex or elastane along with some sort of fabric that you might find desirable.
Although there are a few differences between leggings and yoga pants, they seem quite similar to the untrained eye. Bear in mind, however, that yoga pants will not stretch as much as maternity leggings, nor will they provide the support most pregnant women require when they’re expecting. On a related note, try to remember that yoga pants are also designed with style in mind whereas maternity leggings are crafted to maximize flexibility, support, and comfort at the expense of general aesthetics. Not to say that maternity leggings are ugly by any means, although perhaps not as aesthetically pleasing as some of the high-end yoga pants from reputable designers.
Choosing which maternity leggings to buy mainly depends on your hip size. Because of the fact that most of these types of leggings are made from stretchy materials, you can simply use your regular waist size during the selection process, but you should probably bear in mind that your waist may alter to some degree even before your belly shows clear signs of growing. To be on the safe side, choose a size above your regular waist size, but do not overdo it. Getting a pair that’s too wide for your hips might result in reduced support and a loose fit that’s bound to cause some discomfort in the long run.
Reasons For Wearing Maternity Leggings
- They are very comfortable – As we may have already pointed out, maternity leggings are designed to be not only supportive but highly comfortable as well. In this respect, they are among the most comfortable types of pants you can get next to sweatpants, with the added benefit of providing a lot of support along with a tight fit. It also needs to be said that these pants are commonly made from breathable yet stretchy materials, the type of construction that guarantees that the pants will hug your frame ever so lightly, providing you with the type of comfort you might need.
- They grow with you – Considering how stretchy these pants are, they can be expected to grow along with you as the pregnancy advances. In fact, they are purposefully designed to stretch out across the most important areas of your legs and waist so as to deliver a good standard of support and comfort without being too tight around the moving areas. Seeing how you might grow a little too much to wear your regular clothes as the pregnancy moves along, you are advised to have a few of these leggings in your wardrobe from the get-go.
- They cover your belly – Another great thing about maternity leggings is that they fully cover your belly by design. No need to point out that regular pants have no way of doing that, mostly because maternity leggings are comprised of elastic materials and synthetics to a great extent. Interestingly enough, try to remember that maternity leggings have wide waists and that they are crafted to provide extended support for your belly as it grows without interfering with your shirt in any way.
- They’re quite pleasant to look at – Although not as aesthetically pleasing as more fashionable pants, maternity leggings can be quite trendy in their own way. You see, reputable manufacturers often employ capable designers to come up with new designs and to improve the ones they already make. As such, many of the good leggings are built to be not only pleasant to look at but also supportive, stretchy, and breathable enough to keep you comfortable at all times.
What To Consider
- The compression issue – Some women wrongfully assume that compressive leggings are somewhat better for them on account of providing a tighter fit. Actually, these leggings are to be avoided due to how constrictive they are not only for your blood flow but also for your general mobility. If your pants are too tight, they might hold the gluteus firmly in place, thus preventing muscle pull. This is great if you aren’t pregnant and working out, yet borderline dangerous if you are living a mostly sedentary lifestyle.
- The maintenance – Depending on the materials used in the making of a pair of maternity leggings, they might be easy to care for or downright tedious. A good way to go about caring for the pants is to check the manufacturer’s instructions. At the same time, bear in mind that flexible materials like spandex or elastane can be quite fragile and prone to heat damage, so make sure not to iron the pants if they’re too stretchy. To be on the safe side, always wash your leggings in lukewarm water of less than 30 degrees Celsius to ensure that they won’t lose their elasticity and stretchiness.