As parents, the health and well-being of our children should be your top concern at all times, which is you should strive to provide a hazard-free environment for them to the best of your abilities. What better place to start than with the very air your children breathe by ensuring that it isn’t vitiated by CO2 buildup or dryness. Perhaps the best way to do that is with a humidifier, the type of device that can not only humidify the air inside a room but also clean it of any impurities in the process.
When it comes to modern humidifiers, the technology can get quite advanced without affecting the price tag all that much. Given the wide selection available out there, you do need to take the time and learn as much as you possibly can about these type of devices before committing to a purchase. To help you in that regard, we put together a list of the ten best humidifiers for babies out there, the very best the market has to offer at this point.
Best Humidifiers for Babies – Reviews
10Safety 1st Ultrasonic 360-Degree Cool Mist Humidifier
This ingenious humidifier benefits from a cool mist feature along with an ensured quiet ultrasonic operation. When operational, this humidifier uses two mist outlets that rotate 360 degrees for a customized nursery coverage. What’s more, it also features an easy-to-clean tank that doesn’t use any filters whatsoever. As you would expect from such a high-end device, it also comes with an auto shut-off feature and a full-tank light for good measure.
9ASOM Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Right from the start, we should point out that this versatile device isn’t your average room humidifier. We say this because it also acts as an aroma oil diffuser when needed, thus providing additional benefits to those that standard humidifiers can deliver. Also worth mentioning is the fact that it features a reliable automatic shut-off feature and that it uses a longer mist stream than most humidifiers, one that doesn’t leave any traces of water on the floor.
8TaoTronics Upgraded Ultrasonic Humidifier
Based on a fairly successful base model, the upgraded version is without a doubt, one of the most reliable humidifiers out there. This ingenious device lets you choose between warm and cool mist flows according to your needs. At the same time, it allows you to slide through no less than seven levels of warm/cool evaporation depending on your particular requirements. Not just that but it also benefits from a wide control panel with a user-friendly interface that makes it very easy to use.
7Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
Few humidifiers are as quiet as the Cool Mist humidifier, a device that uses a Silver Ion antibacterial agent to efficiently humidify the air inside a room in a safe and controlled manner. It also stands out by employing a 2-liter tank that enables the device to operate continuously for up to 16 hours a day. Depending on the desired moisture levels, it can create high or low mist levels according to your personal comfort level.
6TaoTronics 4L Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier
As the name suggests, this particular humidifier is equipped with a 4-liter tank, which should be enough for anyone’s needs. Equipped with an ultrasonic humidifier unit and a LED display for ease of use, this humidifier is a lot more convenient to use than most in its class. It also benefits from a nightlight and sleep mode to help with your baby’s sleep, while the informative LED display keeps you posted about its output at all times.
5Crane Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier for Kids
Specifically designed to meet the mids of most children, the Crane Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier is one of the most reliable such devices out there. With a clever and user-friendly design, it can easily fit inside any room without standing out aesthetically in any negative fashion. Performance-wise, it is one of the most efficient in its class, which is impressive considering its affordable price tag. As expected from such a high-performing device, it also comes with an auto shut-off feature that activates automatically whenever the water tank is empty.
4Vicks Starry Night Cool Moisture Humidifier
This particular device uses an antimicrobial filter when running normally, which makes it perfect for children’s rooms. As such, it adds moisture to the air and helps the children sleep easily, all this while moving stars lights on the ceiling with a comforting and entertaining glow. What’s more, this humidifier diffuses moisture into the air without making too much noise, which is a prerequisite for any modern humidifier for kids. It also needs to be said that its ingenious design makes it easy to set up in any corner of the room without drawing too much attention to itself.
3Honeywell HUL520W Mistmate Cool Mist Humidifier
With this well-engineered humidifier from Honeywell, you get one of the most technologically advanced such machines out there. This is because it can handle rooms of any size without any problems to speak of, doing so while reducing the risk of bacteria growth and CO2 buildup. Interestingly enough, this humidifier produces a fine, visible mist without making too much noise when it’s working. At the same time, you can expect this device to provide an inside humidity of between 40 to 60 percent, which can make the air feel warmer and improve your child’s breathing comfort, sleeping, and nasal congestion.
2Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifiers
Equipped with a removable water tank that fits comfortably under most bathroom sinks for easy filling, this is without a doubt, one of the most convenient humidifiers out there. The device delivers a near-perfect cooling mist that effectively humidifies up to 500 square feet without any problems whatsoever. Due to the anti-microbial materials used in its making, it can reduce bacteria growth by almost 100% when running regularly. Other than that, we should point out that it doesn’t require any filters to run normally, although it may require demineralization filters for homes with hard water.
1Honeywell HCM350W Germ-Free Cool Mist Humidifier
There is perhaps no better humidifier for babies than Honeywell’s HCM350W, a reliable and potent humidifier by most standards. Capable of delivering filtered cool moisture via an evaporative technology, it will blow moisture off a wicking filter, thus helping it evaporate into the air quicker. Able to achieve an inside humidity of up to 60% in a fast and efficient manner, it will surely render the air warmer and easier to breathe if used on a regular basis. We also need to point out that due to the fact that it can run for 24 hours on a single tank, it is perfect for homes where refilling the tank constantly would be difficult or tiresome in any way. Overall, it is one of the best humidifiers money can buy.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Humidifier for Babies
While most humidifiers can be tasked with increasing the humidity inside a room, humidifiers for babies have to do it just as efficiently without drawing too much unnecessary attention to itself. As such, the requirement for a silent operation is prerequisite to mist and moisture production of any sort. Performance-wise, these devices aren’t necessarily required to humidify the air all that fast as long as they are effective and easy to use. That said, you should definitely be on the lookout for a versatile and accommodating device for practical reasons. To find out what exactly to look for, we put together a short buying guide you might want to consider.
Types of Humidifiers
For the most part, humidifiers fall into two main categories: cool mist humidifiers and warm mist humidifiers, each with their own particularities. When it comes to babies and what they need, cool humidifiers are by far the most popular on account of how safe they are. This isn’t to say that warm mist models don’t also have their place in a household with children, just that they tend to be avoided because of the risks they pose.
- Cool Mist Humidifiers – These humidifiers spray room-temperature moisture into the air, thus without preheating the water in any way. Very effective overall, they pose absolutely no burn risks whatsoever and operate at fairly low energy costs. With cool mist humidifiers, however, the user always has to worry about cleaning and maintenance. It is also required that you change the water daily and spend more time looking after the unit because of how prone these devices are to mold and bacteria.
- Warm Mist Humidifiers – As the name suggests, warm mist humidifiers work by releasing warm mist into the room, a warmth that’s achieved with the help of a heating element. It is this particular system that poses a certain dose of risk as far as some parents are concerned, which is why many people avoid warm mist humidifiers altogether. Now, if you can ensure that your baby will not reach the device at any point, there is virtually nothing to worry about. In fact, these devices are a lot quieter than cool mist models to some degree.
- Evaporative Humidifiers – With these humidifiers, you get a device that doesn’t exactly spray the humidity into the air but rather releases it gradually over time. Much simpler in their design, these devices are easier to clean, offer low upfront costs, and benefit from much more rigid yet reliable builds. It should be said, however, that they are somewhat expensive to maintain and that they are a lot noisier than mist-spraying versions.
- Ultrasonic Humidifiers – These humidifiers are some of the most popular out there and understandably so. Equipped with small metal plates tasked with generating powerful vibrations at ultrasonic frequencies, they move so fast that they literally break apart water particles inside the reservoir in order to produce vapor. More sophisticated than regular models, ultrasonic devices are also quieter and a lot more efficient overall. The only real downside to using these devices is the regular cleaning and maintenance they require.
Benefits of Baby Humidifiers
Most of the people who employ humidifiers for babies do so from a desire to be one step ahead of whatever breathing issues their babies might have. You see, humidifiers can provide countless health benefits when properly used, such as preventing the development of hazardous bacteria, helping with a baby’s breathing, and keeping germs at bay. This is because dry air is perfect for the development of many viruses and bacteria that lays dormant inside most households. To be more precise, here are the main benefits of using baby humidifiers.
- They help with colds – A decent humidifier can help your baby get ahead of all sort of airborne sicknesses. So if your baby has a cough or the sniffles, humid air can definitely help by soothing the dryness usually associated with these conditions. Not just that but humid air can also prevent the development of allergic reactions and itchy nose. We should also point out that humid air is very good for keeping mucus moist and thus help with your baby’s runny nose.
- They make breathing easier – Not many people realize this but good air humidifiers can definitely make breathing easier for the people inside the room. This is particularly useful with babies because they have certain issues breathing as it is, even without the many illnesses that babies commonly develop. For instance, humid air can surely help with a baby’s stuffy nose and dry nasal passages. In fact, some believe that even asthma symptoms can be alleviated with the help of humid air when the person is exposed to the moist air on a regular basis.
- They soothe dry skin – Interestingly enough, humidifiers can also help with a baby’s dry skin over time. We all know that babies have sensitive skin and so it is a lot easier for them to develop skin irritation as a result of chafing and dryness. With a cleverly placed humidifier, you can help soothe these conditions and help your baby develop a healthier, more moisturized skin via constant exposure to humid air. To be more precise, you don’t really want the air to have a humidity bigger than 60% for a myriad of reasons, but anything around that level should be more than enough.