Landscaping jobs shouldn’t be all that difficult in this day and age, not with all the ingenious power tools the market has to offer at this point in time. Take hedge trimmers, for example, tools that up until not long ago relied solely on manual power as they were mostly manual in their design. With the addition of powered hedge trimmers, bush and hedge trimming jobs have become a lot easier overall, which is why these tools are so widespread and easy to come by.
We should point out, however, that despite their popularity, hedge trimmers can differ quite a lot from one another on technical grounds, a good enough reason as any to do your homework before committing to a purchase right off the bat. What you should do instead is take the time and learn about the specifications of good hedge trimmers and the characteristics that best describe a decent trimmer in the first place. To help you in that regard, we put together a list of the ten best hedge trimmers money can buy.
Best Hedge Trimmers – Reviews
10Black+Decker Beht150 Hedge Trimmer
The Black+Decker Beht150 Hedge Trimmer is a 17-inch, heavy-duty power tool that is uniquely designed for precision and strength. Equipped with a dual action steel blade, it is vibration free and ultra-sharp. The trimmer comes with a 3.2 amp motor that is crafted to trim hedges and branches measuring up to 5/8th inches in length. Thanks to its compact size and lightweight, it is easy to operate and prevents arm fatigue. The trimmer also comes with cord retention that prevents the device from getting unplugged while trimming. For optimum control, it features an inbuilt t-handle with a full-length, robust trigger.
9Remington RM4522TH Electric Hedge Trimmer
Thanks to its compact design and lightweight, the Remington RM4522TH 4.5-Amp 22-Inch Electric Hedge Trimmer offers an exceptional balance that allows quick and easy trimming anywhere in your garden or yard. Equipped with a 4.5amp powerful motor, it comes with dual action titanium coated blades that are 22 inches in length an very durable. Featuring a unique construction and in-line design with a padded grip, it provides you with superior control and handling. We should also point out that for safety and storage purposes, the device comes with a scabbard to cover the blade.
8Earthwise CVPH43018 Corded Convertible Pole Hedge Trimmer
This convertible pole hedge trimmer from Earthwise features a multipurpose design and can be utilized as a hedge trimmer and a pole hedge trimmer. Equipped with an adjustable rotating head, it features 6 different angles allowing optimum control. Thanks to its 18-inch, ultra-sharp blade, it provides an exceptional, clean cut with every use. The trimmer also comes with a protective cover for its blade, along with a shoulder strap for easy transportation. Crafted for short and tall hedges, this trimmer will help you keep your garden or yard looking great.
7Poulan Pro PPB40HT Cordless Hedge Trimmer
The Poulan Pro PPB40HT, 24-inch 40-Volt Cordless Hedge Trimmer is a premium quality power tool that comes equipped with dual action blades, thus providing an exceptional cutting experience. Equipped with a cutting capacity to cut branches up to 3/4th inches in length, it comes with a quick-start button that allows easy, instant startup. Thanks to its uniquely designed rotating rear handle, it allows easy positioning while cutting vertically or sculpting, preventing arm or hand fatigue and strain.
6Sun Joe HJ22HTE 22
Equipped with a powerful 3.5amp electric motor, the Sun Joe HJ22HTE 22″ Electric Hedge Trimmer is designed for a high-end cutting performance. The first thing to point out about this ingenious trimmer is that it features heavy-duty 22-inch stainless steel blades that are resistant to rust and extreme humidity, along with being pre-hardened for added durability. Light in weight, portable, and easy to operate, this hedge trimmer comes crafted with a wraparound front handle that offers optimum precision and control. Thanks to its compact size, it is easy to carry and great for trimming and cutting hedges and small shrubs.
5Sun Joe HJ604C-SJB 2-in-1 Grass Shear & Hedge Trimmer
Designed for small gardens, hedges, and areas that are hard to reach, the Sun Joe HJ604C-SJB 7.2V Cordless 2-in-1 Grass Shear is a heavy-duty power tool that is light in weight and comfortably portable. Equipped with 2 attachments that allow you to shear grass or trim hedges quickly and easily, it features a cordless design with a battery and charging adapter. Rechargeable, convenient, and very easy to operate, it comes equipped with an ergonomic handle that provides optimum grip and control while handling the device.
4DEWALT DCHT820B 20v Max Hedge Trimmer
Popularly known for its superior quality, durability and high performance, the DEWALT DCHT820B 20v Max Hedge Trimmer is another great product that is a part of the 20V MAX set of tools. Equipped with a powerful motor, this hedge trimmer comes with a cutting stroke of 2800spm and can cut branches that are up to 3/4th inches thick. Compact in size and light in weight, it is easy to operate and even easier to control. Featuring a heavy-duty, sturdy handle, it offers optimum grip and enhances precision while cutting and trimming.
3Greenworks 20-Inch 40V Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
The Greenworks 20-Inch 40V Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer is a premium quality device that’s ingeniously equipped with all the necessary tools, allowing you to control and maintain your garden or yard without having to resort to additional tools. Including a dual-action, heavy-duty steel blade measuring 20 inches in length, it offers optimum durability and superior performance. Thanks to its extended shaft, it allows easy and controlled trimming of hedges and bushes without any additional equipment. Equipped with a 3-position pivoting head, it allows quick and easy adjustment of the blade for trimming from various angles.
2GreenWorks 22102 18-Inch Corded Hedge Trimmer
Equipped with a 50-foot extension cable, this Corded Hedge Trimmer from GreenWorks is an ideal power tool for trimming bushes and hedges all across your garden or yard. Loaded with a 2.7amp electric motor, it provides strength and precision while cutting and trimming. Featuring a heavy-duty 18-inch dual action blade made from premium quality stainless steel, it allows quick and easy control and maneuverability. On account of its 3/8th-inch cutting ability, it is the ideal tool for trimming small hedges and bushes.
1BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Equipped with a 24-inch dual-action blade, the LHT2436 Cordless Hedge Trimmer from Black+Decker is a heavy-duty tool that stands out as one of the most effective out there. Featuring a tempered precision blade, it cuts branches up to 3/4-inch thick with no difficulties whatsoever. For optimum grip and control, this hedge trimming tool is designed with robust oval-shaped aluminum handles covered in soft padding. Crafted with bumpers that are resistant to shock and outer impacts, this tool is specially molded for maximum comfort and maneuverability. Overall, it is perhaps one of the best hedge trimmers the market has to offer.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
Hedge Trimmer Buying Guide
While most hedge trimmers are pretty straightforward in their purpose, some offer greater versatility than others on account of their design. It pays to remember that trimmers with longer blades, for example, are usually a lot more expensive by most standards. Not just that but depending on their construction, larger trimmers are also harder to maneuver, not to mention how difficult it is to store them properly. All things considered, one should understand that hedge trimmers aren’t all about cutting and trimming but the sum of all their parts, especially the multipurpose models. Speaking of which, we should perhaps begin by pointing out that hedge trimmers come in different shapes and sizes.
Types Of Hedge Trimmers
- Electric Trimmers – These are by far the most cost-effective models out there, the type you can operate with ease without worrying about costs. This is also true when it comes o maintenance because most electric trimmers are designed so that they’ll start with the push of a button even after being inactive for a long period of time. It also needs to be said that these devices can get quite powerful towards the high-end part of the price spectrum. The only real setback with electric trimmers is the fact that your mobility is affected by the length of their power cord, which can be extended if need be.
- Cordless Trimmers – Speaking of cables, there are also plenty of cordless hedge trimmers out there, devices that you can operate without having to worry about any cord restrictions. As the name suggests, these trimmers run on batteries that range from 14V to 40V depending on the size of the machine. It is common for most of these machines to have a guaranteed running time of between 3 to 5 hours depending on the size and capacity of the battery. It is also common for people to get an extra battery with the purchase of the trimmer for the event in which the battery gives out before the trimming job is completed.
- Gasoline Trimmers – It needs to be said that gasoline trimmers are by far the most powerful, which recommends them for jobs of any size or difficulty. This is because they develop a tremendous power, enough to cut through even the thickest branches in a relatively timely fashion. Also worth pointing out is that gasoline trimmers do not employ the lengthy cords and cables that some of the electric models have, meaning that they are a lot more maneuverable overall. The only real downside with gasoline trimmers is the vibrations they cause and the unavoidable exhaust emissions.
- Long-reach Trimmers – With long-reach trimmers, as the name suggests, are designed to trim hedges that aren’t within easy reach. You can expect these trimmers to reach hedges that are up to 12 feet high or more depending on their construction. It also needs to be said that these trimmers are available both as corded or cordless versions and that they do not really differ from one another performance-wise. That said, you can expect these type of trimmers to handle worse than regular trimmers for the most part on account of their design and that you might need additional tools to use them properly.
Features To Look For
- Weight – It is very important for a hedge trimmer to be easy to maneuver, thus the need for the device to be light in weight. For a trimming job that involves a reasonably sized hedge, you can be expected to handle the machine for up to 30 minutes or more, which is why you want one that won’t cause too much fatigue in the process. Keep in mind that the harder the trimmer, the faster you will get tired handling it. Having said that, you should also remember that heavier trimmers usually employ stronger motors, and therefore boast a faster trimming capacity.
- Blade – The blade of a trimmer determines how fast you will get a trimming job done and how efficient you will be able to do it. Generally speaking, a longer blade guarantees a faster trimming job whereas a shorter blade is usually preferable when you need to trim hedges in a specific pattern. We should point out that most of the popular models are equipped with double-sided blades, a design that makes the trimmer more versatile and easier to turn around.
- Comfort – Although not as essential as a reliable blade, the comfort standard of a trimmer should definitely be considered prior to purchase. When we talk about comfort, we mainly talk about vibration, balance, and overall handling of the machine. If possible, look for a trimmer with two handles along with multiple power switches. This is to allow you to use the machine in different orientations and without having to compromise in regards to its handling. At this point, we should also point out that single-action blades usually employ a moving blade and a stationary one, thus requiring that you operate the machine in one direction only.
- Noise – Be on the lookout for a quiet hedge trimmer if you can, not in the sense that it shouldn’t make any type of noise but a reasonable level that won’t cause you any discomfort in the long run. In this respect, your average electric trimmer produces around 90dBA of noise whereas a gasoline model can get as loud as 103dBA. This is almost double the noise an electric model makes and also why you should consider wearing earbuds when operating a gasoline-powered trimmer.
- Accessories – Last but not least, try to look for a trimmer that packs a serious number of accessories that you can use. This way, trimmers with rotating heads, additional batteries, and hedge clipping collectors are definitely preferable to standard models for practical reasons. For instance, rotating heads allow you to trim hedges either horizontally or vertically while hedge clipping collector units enable you to store the trimmings for easy cleanup.