The quest for finding a decent gel nail polish begins with an honest effort to figure out what exact type of polish would best suit your needs. Formulated to help maintain color for as long as possible, even average nail polish can be expected to work to some extent, but do not expect a standard gel to deliver the same quality as a more refined version. We say this because even though all gel nail polish products have an acrylic base intended to make the color last longer, some of them are much more effective than others.
If you are looking to maintain a perfect manicure for weeks at a time, you’re going to need to learn more about what constitutes a good gel nail polish and what features to consider when buying some. Bear in mind that the growing demand for gel nail polish has given rise to a galaxy of choices at this point in time, especially towards the low-end part of the price spectrum. To ensure that you’re getting the right stuff, we put together a list of the ten best gel nail polishes the market has to offer right now.
Best Gel Nail Polishes – Reviews
10Yungsio Soak Off UV Gel Nail Polish Set
Made from all-natural resin and high-quality elements, the Yungsio Soak Off UV Gel Nail Polish Set contains 6 bottles of long-lasting polish that is easy to apply. Safe and harmless, it does not contain any harsh odor and is eco-friendly. Providing you with a mirror-shine and ultra-glossy finish, it is resistant to chipping and smudging and does not cause nicks. If properly applied, this gel nail polish can last up to 2 weeks and should be applied with a base and top coat for best results.
9HNM Gel Nail Polish Set
Perfect for salon use and home use, the HNM Gel Nail Polish Set is manufactured by one among the best nail brands available today. Ideal for false nails, natural nails, UV gel nails, acrylic nails and nail tips, this set of polishes is resistant to color, is ultra-shiny and lasts for up to 3 weeks. Made from non-toxic, high-quality ingredients and elements, it features a low smell and provides a good tenacity. Eco-friendly and entirely safe to use, this polish set would make a great gift for your loved ones.
8YaoShun Gel Polish
Featuring 6 bottles of polish in stunning subtle shades, the YaoShun Gel Polish set is ideal for an eye-catching French manicure. Made from natural resin and high-quality ingredients and elements, these polishes are free from harsh chemicals and toxins and include a low smell. Providing you with a glossy mirror shine and finish, it lasts up to 15 days without chipping or peeling off. For long-lasting durability and a perfect finish, always apply the polish with a strong base and top coat and cure under a UV/LED nail lamp.
7Mefa Gel Nail Polish Set
The Mefa Gel Nail Polish Set is a set of 6 high-quality, lightweight nail polishes that are easy to carry and ideal for travel. Including a wide range of 12 different colors, it can be easily matched with any outfit. Suitable for all kinds of nails, it can be used in professional salons or at home. High quality, made from premium ingredients and elements, these polishes are designed to last up to 2 weeks if applied correctly with a base and topcoat.
6UR SUGAR Gel Nail Polish Set
UR SUGAR Gel Nail Polish Set is a premium quality pack of polishes that are designed to provide different designs and effects. Each individual nail polish comes with a special application process that should be checked before use. Suitable for all kinds of nails including false nails, UV gel nails, acrylic nails, natural nails, and false nails, it adds an element of fun to your manicure. What’s more, the different effects include a magic thermal color change, a beautiful jade effect, a chameleon, a holographic cat-eye and many more.
5Azurebeauty Gel Nail Polish Set
Featuring a premium blend of high-quality ingredients, the Azurebeauty Gel Nail Polish Set includes 6 bottles of glitter polish made from natural resin and healthy elements. Non-toxic, safe and designed with a low odor, these polishes provide a long-lasting application that goes up to 2 weeks. Packed in vibrant colorful boxes, these make a great gift and are compact in size and great for travel as well. For best results, the polish should be applied with a good base and topcoat and should be cured with a UV or LED nail lamp.
4Makartt Red Gel Nail Polish Kit
Available in a combination of beautiful shades, the Makartt Red Gel Nail Polish Kit provides you with a variety of colors to match any outfit or mood. Designed to last up to 2 weeks, this nail polish is ultra-durable and provides a high tenacity. It does not smudge, chip or peel off and leaves your nails with a mirror shine and glossy finish. Ideal for nail stamping, nail art, and for combining with powders and extension gels, this nail polish is perfect for salon, professional and home use.
3Beetles Gel Nail Polish Set
Featuring 6 stunning, vibrant shades, the Beetles Gel Nail Polish Set is perfect for everyday use. Made from high-quality toxin-free elements and ingredients, it is free from odor and safe for your nails. Offering you with good tenacity and a long-lasting application, this polish can go up to 3 weeks without chipping. For best results and a hassle-free application, always remember to apply a base and topcoat and cure under a UV or LED nail lamp.
2Sexy Mix Gel Nail Polish for Nails
The Sexy Mix Gel Nail Polish for Nails is a unique set of different shades of pink that are perfect for any trendy woman. Ideal for professional and home use, these polishes are crafted with natural resin and other premium-quality elements that are safe for you. Free from harsh chemicals and toxins, it does not contain any odor when applied, which is definitely something to look for. Bear in mind that for best results and full color, 3 coats should be applied and cured under a UV or LED nail lamp. If applied correctly and with a base and top coat, this polish will last up to 2 weeks.
1Gellen Gel Polish Set
This 6-piece pack from Gellen is guaranteed to provide you with a glossy shine and mirror-finish, which is great considering that these polishes can last up to 2 weeks if applied in the correct way. Crafted and blended with natural resin, purified water, and high-quality mineral elements, it is toxic-free and does not smell. Safe for your nails, this polish provides a good tenacity and is ideal for salon and home use. For best results, it should be applied with a base and topcoat and cured in a UV lamp for up to 4 minutes and a LED light for 30-60 seconds or so.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
Finding The Perfect Gel Nail Polish
Even though most gel nail polishes can be expected to meet basic effectiveness standards, the good ones can be used to achieve longer-lasting results. To be more precise, a low-end polish can maintain color for up to 10 days or so whereas a high-quality version can do so for three weeks or more. With that in mind, try your best to pay close attention to the exact formula of a specific gel polish product so as to figure out a pattern that you can use in the long run. To do that, you must first educate yourself on the key characteristics of good nail polish along with how to best make use of one when applying it.
What To Remember
- It’s Made From Acrylic – You need to keep in mind that most if not all gel nail polishes are made from acrylic, which is why they last so long. On average, decent polishes last between two to three weeks under normal circumstances. It needs to be said that the exact durability of your nail color is largely dependent on your lifestyle and on how much stress you subject the nails to. The natural growth of your nail also tends to affect the durability of your nail polish over time.
- It Can Damage Your Nails – One thing few people seem to mention when talking about gel nail polish is the danger element. You see, many nail polishes can be quite aggressive to your nails, in the sense that they can damage them corrosively over time. In order to avoid any long-lasting damage, you should use a base coat and a topcoat, which have the goal of fixing the polish for a longer duration. Not just that but a base coat will also help you maintain nail color for an extended period of time.
- It Is Hard To Remove – This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, mind you, because the long-lasting nature of nail polish also ensures that your nails will remain in tip-top conditions for much longer. The trouble begins when you are trying to remove the polish because you need to change your nail color on a moment’s notice. You will find this to be quite difficult on account of how gel nail polish is commonly formulated.
Advantages Of Using Gel Nail Polish
- It Lasts Long – As we already pointed out earlier, the acrylic base of nail polish ensures that any application will result in the gel lasting for weeks at a time. This is owed to the plastic compound formula which extends the lacquer duration of the nails. At the same time, decent nail polish can be expected to dry off quickly, even quicker if you use any sort of UB or LED rays to fasten the process.
- It Is Comfortable – One thing to remember about gel nail polish is that it is rather comfortable to wear long-term. This is especially true for people who grow accustomed to having the gel on their nails on a regular basis. Given its strength and durability, nail polish will also provide your nails with an added note of toughness and resistance from the elements, thus enabling you to go about your daily routine with a care-free attitude.
- It Has A Professional Appearance – There is no denying that properly applied gel nail polish gives out a professional aesthetic. This is particularly useful if you otherwise lack the time to properly care for your nails in a more intricate way. As long as you have the capacity to apply the gel every once in a while, it will save you an awful lot of time and resources in the long run by saving you the hassle of having to get your nails done by a nail technician.
Gel Nail Polish VS Traditional Polish
People are often confused about gel nail polish and how it compares to traditional nail polish. The truth is that the main difference is how much longer gel nail polish lasts when compared with its classic counterpart. At the same time, the gel formula also makes the nails more flexible and resistant, thus preventing any sort of peeling or damage in the long run. Even without considering the duration, the application alone recommends gel products over the traditional alternative on account of how much easier they are to apply.
What To Consider
- Fingernail Type – The first thing you need to consider when buying a gel nail polish is whether your nails will handle it. For instance, if you have weak, peeling, or brittle nails, you should first try to regenerate them before applying the gel. You can do that in a number of ways, starting from rejuvenating creams and a change in diet. It is also advised that you avoid using gel nail polish on oily nails for practical reasons.
- Composition – In regards to the actual composition of a gel nail polish product, bear in mind that many if not most of them contain plastic ingredients. This usually involves acrylic or similar plastic-based chemicals, which have the designated purpose of sticking to the nails for as long as possible. One element to avoid in large quantities is Hydroquinone Monomethyl Ether, a chemical component that can seriously damage your nails in large quantities. The ideal composition should be somewhere around 200 ppm or less to ensure that you aren’t exposing your nails to any unnecessary risks.
- Quality – Of course quality should play a role when choosing which gel to buy, you should do so when buying any cosmetic products regardless of their nature. Seeing how nails can be quite sensitive for most folks, you want one that’s risk-free to some extent, the type of formula that you can use repeatedly without the risks of damaging your nails in any way. In this regard, your best bet should be a world-renowned brand because reputable manufacturers tend to test their products thoroughly.
- Format – Last but not least, consider the format and features of any gel nail polish of your choosing. We say this because these products tend to come in different formats, mostly in the form of brushes or pens. It needs to be said that the choice here usually comes down to personal preference, mainly which application type you find most comfortable. While you’re at it, try to consider the finish or opacity, mostly if it’s gloss or matte.