Electric fireplaces are a perfect addition to almost any home. Not only can they be placed in virtually any room, but they have a number of benefits over traditional fireplaces. For instance, they don’t produce smoke, are energy efficient and are extremely easy-to-maintain. And they’re more than capable of producing the heat a room needs to make it nice and cozy.
Before anyone can enjoy all of the benefits of one of these fireplaces, however, they first have to find one that not only fits in with their décor but also has the features they need. To help towards that end, we’ve gathered together ten of the best electric models currently available as well as a guide on what to look for in a fireplace.
Best Electric Fireplaces – Reviews
10Southern Enterprises Antebellum Fireplace
Furnished with a distressed antique white finish, this 48-inch free-standing electric fireplace can quickly become the focal point of any room. This 1,500-watt model is capable of producing enough heat to warm up a room up to 400-square feet in size. As it warms the room, it also produces life-like flames that provide a beautiful ambiance to any room. A 46-inch television can easily and safely be placed on top of it, and it has two cabinets for media storage. Its media shelf has cutouts, so that wiring can be run from the cable or satellite box to the TV quite easily.
9R.W. Flame 50-Inch Fireplace
This 50-inch electric fireplace is capable of being installed in a number of different ways, which makes it quite a versatile piece of equipment. It can be wall mounted, placed into an existing firebox or recessed. All that’s required is proper ventilation and proper installation. This fireplace has a touch screen and a remote control that can be used to control its 12 different LED flame color modes, its 5 flame speeds, and its 5 brightness levels. A beautiful fire-like show isn’t all that this fireplace is capable of producing, however. It can also produce enough heat to heat up to a 400 square-foot room.
8SEI Sicilian Harvest Fireplace
Designed to be placed up against a wall and not inside it, this ivory fireplace looks like a real fireplace and has a mantle that can be used to hold a television up to 42.75-inches wide. This free-standing model weighs approximately 100-pounds and is 44.75 by 14 by 40.25-inches in size. It’s a 1,500-watt unit that can produce enough supplemental heating to heat a room up to 400 square feet in size. Producing beautiful life-like flames, this unit also comes with a remote control that allows the user to set a timer or change the logs. That allows this product to be easily incorporated into the decor of any home.
7Real Flame Crawford White Fireplace
This fireplace has a very realistic design to it and is made from a combination of wood and veneered MDF. It has a mounting depth of only 9.5-inches and has fluted columns that give it a realistic and traditional built-in look. It comes with an anti-topple safety device that prevents it from being pulled over, and its firebox is actually a 1,400-watt heater that can deliver up to 4,700 BTUs an hour. Although some assembly is required before this fireplace can be used, once put together it’s quite easy to use and maintain. It even comes with a remote control for easy use and operation.
6Touchstone Onyx 50-Inch Fireplace
This fireplace is not only easy to hang, but also produces some extremely exciting and stimulating flame effects. It’s approximately 50-inches wide and weighs around 46-pounds, so it’s just the right size for one person to hang it themselves. Once properly mounted using the step-by-step instructions, this product has a number of options which will endear it to the homeowner. This product has two different heating options, has a built-in timer that can be used to turn off the fireplace anywhere from 30-minutes to 7.5-hours from the time it’s set, and its simulated flames are set in a pile of faux log or crystals.
5Duraflame Infrared Quartz Fireplace Stove
Designed to look like a rustic wood burning stove, this electric fireplace not only provides a quaint element to any room but also provides up to 5,200 BTUs of supplemental heating. It can heat up to a 1,000 square-feet of a home thanks to its infrared quartz heating system that also helps to promote proper room humidity as well. This electric fireplace has realistic 3D flame effects that look like they dance on and behind this unit’s logs. And since this fireplace is completely adjustable, the user can adjust a variety of different settings including color, flame speed, and flame brightness.
4Southern Enterprises Convertible Fireplace
This mission fireplace looks like it’s made from oak, but it’s actually made from a variety of polyresin, wood, veneer, and MDF materials to provide a real oak look. Its traditional look will enhance the decor of any room, and its space heater will provide enough heat to heat up to a 400 square foot room. This fireplace only uses 1,500-watts of power and weighs under 120-pounds. It’s only 45.5 by 15.5 by 42.25 inches, so it doesn’t take up a lot of space, but is big enough for a 43.5-inch TV to be placed upon its mantel for easy viewing.
3PuraFlame 30-Inch Western Fireplace Insert
This electric fireplace insert is designed to be placed into a traditional firebox that’s at least 29.1-inches wide, 23.2-inches high and with a depth of at least 7.8-inches. When properly installed and hooked up to a power supply, this fireplace not only provides the viewer with beautiful flame effects but can also provide enough heat for a 400 square-foot home. Its realistic backlit LED flames have three different intensity and brightness settings, settings which can easily be controlled using this model’s remote control. This quality fireplace is easy to install and uninstall and comes equipped with overheat protection for safety.
2PuraFlame Alice 50-Inch Recessed Fireplace
This fireplace is designed to be recessed into a suitable wall and can either be plugged in or hard-wired into the home’s electrical grid. Once installed properly, this fireplace produces a beautiful and haunting flame effect that can be adjusted according to brightness and color. The flames can be set to be all yellow, all blue or yellow with a bit of blue in it. This fireplace also has two different heat settings, a low 750-watt, and a high 1,500-watt, so it can be used to heat up to 400 square foot of a home. And since it also has a built-in thermometer, the user can set this fireplace to heat a room according to their preference.
1Touchstone Recessed 50-Inch Fireplace
Although the main appeal of this fireplace is the beautiful flames that it produces, it also has a number of important features that make it a great fireplace to mount into a wall. It’s 50-inches wide and comes with realistic 3-color flames that will provide hours of wonder and enjoyment to anyone looking upon them. It also has 5-different flame settings, so the homeowner can adjust it according to their mood, and it can produce enough heat to heat up a 400 square-foot home. Also included with this set are crystals and faux fire logs which only serve to add to the real flame effect that this fireplace so beautiful produces.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
How To Buy An Electric Fireplace
It’s true that electric fireplaces have many advantages over a traditional fireplace. These devices produce light and heat for pennies on the dollar, are easy to install and are very easy to maintain. And considering the fact that traditional fireplaces can cost as much as $10,000 to install, they are very inexpensive.
Of course, reaping the benefits of an electric fireplace isn’t quite as easy as running out and buying the first one available. The first thing that you need to do is find the model that will suit your home and suit your lifestyle. And this guide is designed to help you achieve those goals.
Choose An Electric Fireplace Style
Electric fireplaces come in a number of different styles and each of them is suitable for some homes and not suitable for others. Let’s examine these more closely to see these benefits up close.
- Fireplace Inserts: Inserts are designed to be installed into an existing fireplace, but there are models that can be placed into entertainments centers.
- Wall-Mounted Models: Wall-mounted models allow the fireplace to be hung virtually anywhere, providing there’s a wall stud for proper installation.
- Free Standing Models: Freestanding models are perhaps the easiest to install and maintain. Most of these models are also the easiest ones to set up.
Choose An Appropriate Heating Option
Electric fireplace not only are set up in different ways, but also provide heat in a number of different ways. Below are some of the common heating options found on modern electric fireplaces.
- Infrared Heat: Infrared models are capable of heating a large area quite efficiently and have a heating range of approximately 1,000-1,200 square feet.
- Forced Fan: These fireplaces use a fan to push air over heated coils and can heat an area up to 400 square feet.
- Ceramic: Ceramic fireplaces also use a fan to push heat out towards a room, but instead of this air passing over a coil it passes over a ceramic plate. This type of fireplace can heat up to 400 square feet.
Additional Features To Consider
Once you have determined the base characteristics of your electric fireplace, it’s time to think about some of the additional features that you may need it to have. Below are just a few of the things to consider before purchasing one of these fireplaces.
- Digital Control: Although electric fireplaces are quite a modern invention, not all of them are equipped with digital controls. And that’s a shame because digital control boards can make these fireplaces extremely easy to use.
- Adjustable Thermostat: Another feature that makes one of these fireplaces easier to use are adjustable thermostats. Being able to set a temperature that the fireplace will maintain will prevent you from having to turn the unit off when the room gets too hot and then back on again when the room is too cold.
- Flame-Only Mode: An extremely handy feature to find on these fireplaces is a flame-only feature. After all, not everyone wants or needs heat all of the time. Sometimes, they merely want to enjoy the ambiance of the flame. A flame-only option allows the homeowner to enjoy this ambiance without heat, so the fireplace can be enjoyed all year round.
- Flame Speed Options: Adjusting the speed of the flickering flame can allow the user to set the fireplace to fit their mood and/or their décor. Most of the fireplaces with this option have at least 3-different speed settings.
- Fireplace Flame Color Options: The ability to change either the flame’s color or the bed color allows the fireplace to be further customized. There are even models that allow both the flame and the bed color to be changed as the homeowner sees fit.
- Brightness Control: The final option to look for in one of these fireplaces is whether it has a brightness control or not. This feature allows the fireplace’s brightness to be turned up or down according to the homeowner’s preference.
As can clearly be seen, there are quite a few things to consider when buying a new electric fireplace. However, if you take your time and give it careful thought and consideration, then it’s not difficult to find a model that fits your home, your lifestyle, and your decorating style. And in the process, you will end up with a supplemental form of heating that will help save you money on your energy bills and add a beautiful focal point to any room.