Every responsible dog owner should own at least one decent dog leash they can rely on, no matter what breed the dog is or how strong they might be. We say this because a dog leash isn’t just for controlling the dog but also for protecting them against any unexpected threats you might be faced with when you’re out walking your dog. As we are about to find out, dog leashes have a multitude of uses provided they’re reasonably sturdy and reliable.
As long as you understand that leashes can differ from one another in terms of construction, material, elasticity, and general purpose, you shouldn’t have too many difficulties finding a good one. The reason for this is that dog leashes have always been popular, even more so in recent years with the advent of modern synthetics that render the leashes extra flexible yet light in weight. With that in mind, let us take a look at the ten best dog leashes the market has to offer at this point in time.
Best Dog Leashes – Reviews
10Azuza Dog Collar and Leash Set
The Azuza Dog Collar and Leash Set is a fun, exciting combo set that includes an adjustable collar with a matching printed leash. Ideal for small dogs, it features a lightweight nylon strap with plastic buckles and metal add-ons, coated with chrome and reasonably strong by most standards. Boasting a unique construction and generous pattern with bright colors, it not only provides a secure hold but looks stylish and attractive as well. For added durability, this set should be machine washed in cold water on a gentle cycle and laid flat to dry.
9Leashboss 10 15-Foot Dog Leash
Measuring 10 feet in length with a width of 3/4th inches, the Leashboss Dog Leash provides you and your pet with the ease and freedom of movement while ensuring optimum control. Hand-made from premium quality materials, it comes equipped with a neoprene padded handle that provides a good grip and comfortable hold even if your dog pulls. Thanks to its heavy-duty multipurpose D-ring, it can be used to carry a disposable poop bag or just utilized to loop and clip the leash onto a tree or pole.
8Eco-clean Reflective Dog Leash
Seen as one of the strongest out there, the Eco-clean Dog Leash features two handles for added control. Providing you with additional durability, it measures 6 feet in length, 2mm thick and 1 inch wide. Ideal for large dogs, it comes with special reflective stitching that provides optimum visibility and keeps you and your pet safe at night or in dark areas. With both handles padded with high-quality neoprene fabric, it offers superior comfort and control. The leash is tightly woven with high-density nylon and is twice as thick as traditional leashes available today.
7TAIDA Strong Durable Nylon Dog Training Leash
The TAIDA Strong Durable Dog Training Leash is a heavy-duty model, one that was crafted from premium grade soft nylon material. Light in weight and extremely durable, it features a simple design and construction and comes in 4 vibrant colors including black, blue, green and red. Equipped with a durable on/off hook that is easy to use, it measures 6 feet in length and just one inch in width. Giving you enough space to allow your dog to move freely, it is great for walking small to medium size dogs.
6Friends Forever Extremely Durable Dog Slip Rope Leash
Crafted in a unique yet reliable design, the Friends Forever Extremely Durable Dog Slip Rope Leash is made from strong mountain climbing rope. Ideal for potty breaks, training, or crate transfers, this leash does not require any additional collar or harness. Measuring 6 feet long and 1 inch wide, it comes in a single size and features an adjustable loop that fits small, medium and large size dogs. Offering optimum durability and strength, this dog leash is light in weight, comfortable and gives you and your pet the security that is needed during long walks.
5TobeDRI Heavy Duty Dog Leash
Known for its high quality, durability, and reliability, the TobeDRI Heavy Duty Dog Leash is considered one of the best of its kind. Featuring a robust handle padded with foam, it provides you with optimum grip and prevents leash burn. Including 2 handles that are padded with 3 mm of soft neoprene fabric, it not only protects your hands but gives you complete control while walking or running your dog. Thicker and stronger than most leashes, this dog leash measures 1 inch in width with 2 layers of heavy-duty nylon for good measure. It also comes equipped with reflective stitching that provides optimum visibility at night.
4PetSafe Nylon Dog Leash
Available in 6 exciting colors, the PetSafe Nylon Dog Leash comes in a range of different lengths, allowing you to select the right one for your pet. Easy to use, this sturdy leash comes with a durable on/off hook that allows you to quickly and easily secure the leash onto your dog’s collar. Measuring 6 feet in length with a 1-inch width, it provides optimum strength and durability and is great for walking and running. Featuring a simple classic design and construction, it provides a secure connection with your pet while on the go.
3Blueberry Pet Dog Leash
Available in a wide range of vibrant, exciting colors, the Blueberry Pet Dog Leash features a classy style and is ideal for safety training purposes. Measuring 5 feet in length, it features a wide width measuring 3/4th inches respectively. Made from premium quality nylon material, it comes with a high-density webbing that provides optimum durability and strength. Great for everyday use, it comes equipped with a spinning snap that adds to the durability and is crafted to last long. Not just that but it is also surprisingly maneuverable given its ingenious design.
2TUG Patented 360° Retractable Dog Leash
The TUG Patented 360° Retractable Dog Leash is a medium size leash that is designed for dogs under 55 lbs. Equipped with 16 feet of tape, it comes with a unique retractable mechanism that is resistant to tangling while giving you complete 360-degree access and movement. It also comes equipped with a quick and easy lock and unlock function that can be accessed by rolling your thumb on and off the gadget. Thanks to its sturdy construction with its ergonomic handle, it is resistant to slipping and offers optimum grip and a comfortable hold. Flexible and relatively light in weight, this particular leash stands out for all the right reasons.
1BAAPET 5 FT Strong Dog Leash
Crafted with a robust 1-inch diameter climbing rope, the BAAPET 5 FT Strong Dog Leash features a heavy-duty clip hook that ensures optimum safety for you and your pet. Equipped with well-padded handles, it provides a comfortable grip and does not cause rope burn. Thanks to its unique addition of reflective threads, it helps keep you and your pet safe while walking in dark areas and during night walks. Boasting a long 5 feet length, it is ideal for running and gives you and your pet freedom and ease of movement. All things considered, it is perhaps one of the best dog leashes money can buy.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Dog Leash
Although many people don’t really spend that much time pondering about the nature of dog leashes, the fact that they can differ quite a lot from one another should stir people to at least take the necessary steps to first understand what type of leash they require. This is yet another notion some people don’t think twice about, the fact that they might be using the wrong type of leash when taking their dog for a walk. Over the next few minutes, we’ll try and learn as much as we possibly can about the different type of dog leashes and the characteristics that set them apart.
Types Of Dog Leashes
- Standard Leashes – As the name suggests, this is the common dog leash most people use, a leash that’s just as simplistic as it is reliable. Commonly made from nylon or leather, these leashes are tough enough to effectively restrain an adult dog or a puppy. Length-wise, these leashes are usually between 4 to 8 feet long and they are highly maneuverable due to their flexibility. At the same time, these dog leashes are relatively inexpensive, at least when compared with thicker, leather-bound leashes.
- Retractable Leashes – These leashes are designed to provide some leeway for the dog upon the owner’s wishes, similar to the way a measuring tape would work. Rather popular, they are among the most widespread models for practical reasons. It is common for these leashes to extend from between five to thirty feet depending on the model, and are usually equipped with a locking mechanism that allows the user to lock the least at varying lengths depending on their particular needs.
- Adjustable Leashes – People employ adjustable leashes to fill the gap between retractable leashes and standard models via their adjustable nature. These leashes allow the user to adjust the length of the leash between three and seven feet through the use of loops and clips. This way, you get to render the leash shorter without any bulky plastic compartments or any other contraption that peculiar retractable leashes sometimes have.
- Chain Leashes – Chain leashes, as the name suggests, have a built-in chain instead of a leather/fabric cord. This addition increases their sturdiness and adds an aesthetically pleasing effect to the leash. Available in different weights and sizes, they can accommodate the needs of any dog provided that the leash was chosen carefully. Bear in mind, however, that because some dogs are in the habit of chewing the leash, such a leash can seriously damage your dog’s teeth.
- Martingale Leads – These leashes are used for training purposes for the most part, as they tighten around the dog’s neck when they pull. This puts a decent amount of pressure on the dog’s neck, thus teaching him/her not to pull on the leash too much. These type of leashes usually come with a martingale collar but often employ a standard type of leash otherwise. Not just that but they are also recommended for anyone who’s having difficulties training their dog.
- Multiple Leashes – We aren’t talking here about more than one leash but rather a leash with multiple ends. The most common of these leashes is the 2-leash model which incorporates two endings on a single handle. These type of leashes are perfect for people who own two or more dogs as they allow the owner to walk both of the dogs at the same time. Needless to say, the dogs have to be very well trained so that they don’t each pull a separate way.
- Seat Belt Safety Leashes – Commonly referred to as SBS leashes, they are generally short and simplistic in their design. As the name suggests, they are built with a specially designed feature that enables them to be attached to a seatbelt clip inside a vehicle. This has the purpose of restraining the dog to a specific area of the car, thus preventing the dog from climbing into the front seat and inconveniencing the driver in any way.
- Bike Leashes – Although not as common as some of the other leashes we talked about, bike leashes do serve a fairly specific and practical purpose. To be more precise, they enable the owner of an active dog to take the dog for a walk, or rather for a run, by attaching the leash to the frame of their bicycle. After adjusting the desired length of the leash, they can be used to take the dog along for a bike ride sort of speak, therefore incorporating the act of walking the dog with another, slightly healthier activity.
- Nylon – Many of the leashes we find in pet shops around the world are made of nylon, and understandably so considering how insanely practical these leashes can be. A relatively cheap material by most standards, nylon is sturdy yet flexible and lightweight enough to allow people to easily carry and store the leash when not in use. At the same time, these leashes are a lot more affordable than leather versions for example.
- Leather – Speaking of leather, it used to be that most leashes were made from some sort of leather back in the day. This has changed with the advent of synthetic materials like nylon, which doesn’t mean that leather leashes have gone out of style. Quite the contrary, some people do prefer leather leashes over synthetic versions not just for their resistance to chewing but also for aesthetic reasons.
- Chain – People who own particularly large dogs sometimes tend to use chain leashes. This is because inexpensive nylon leashes are easy to chew through, especially by a strong dog who doesn’t like the leash for some reason. With chain leashes, you can avoid any short or long-term damage to the leash by virtue of how strong they are. Keep in mind, however, that dogs who are in the habit of chewing the leash will not stop just because the leash seems stronger. You are advised in this regard, to try and first teach the dog to avoid chewing the leash for the sake of your dog’s teeth.