Inexperienced parents rarely comprehend the importance of having a reliable diaper rash cream on hand. This is because they treat diaper rash as something unavoidable and difficult to deal with, whereas in reality, there are a number of treatments you could follow to ensure that your baby is kept out of harm’s way. To be more precise, diaper rash creams come in all shapes and sizes, from soothing creams with short-term effects to long-term ointment-based formulas.
Having said that, we should point out that not all diaper rash creams are created equal and that some are definitely more effective than others. This isn’t always tied to their price tag or manufacturer, mind you, which is why you want to take the time and learn as much as you possibly can about the nature of these creams before committing to a purchase. To give you a better idea of what’s out there, we put together a list of the ten best diaper rash creams the market has to offer at this point in time.
Best Diaper Rash Creams – Reviews
10Pure Baby Diaper Rash Cream by Dr. Fischer
The Pure Baby Diaper Rash Cream by Dr. Fischer is a 100% organic product that has been formulated to soothe and nourish itchy, red and irritated skin. Tested and approved by experts, it is hypoallergenic and safe for your newborn baby. Including 100% organic oils with a blend of natural ingredients, it includes plant extracts, olive and almond oils, zinc oxide, Vitamin E and other skin healing minerals. Free from parabens, lanolin, SLS, GMO’s, paraffin, SLES, silicones, fragrance, and synthetic dyes, it is ideal for babies with sensitive skin.
9Aquaphor Baby Healing Cream
Uniquely blended with high-quality ingredients and active elements, the Aquaphor Baby Healing Cream features 15% zinc oxide that helps protect the skin from redness, inflammation, and discomfort. Free from parabens, fragrance and harmful chemicals, it is easy to apply and can also be cleaned off by wiping. Tested and approved by experts, this diaper rash cream not only soothes the skin, offering quick relief but also aims at protecting it from future skin irritation and rash. Thanks to its safe ingredients, this cream can be used in tandem with almost any type of treatment with virtually no limitations to speak of.
8Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream
Formulated with organic calendula, Vitamin E and Vitamin B5, the Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream aims at soothing and nourishing your baby’s skin while creating a protective barrier against moisture. Easy to use, this cream glides on smoothly and is perfect for even the most delicate skin. Free from parabens, mineral oils and artificial colors, this diaper cream can be used every day without worry. Tested by expert dermatologists, this cream gently cleanses the skin and is hypoallergenic by most standards, a characteristic not many rash creams tend to possess.
7Desitin Rapid Relief Diaper Rash Cream
Free from parabens, artificial fragrance, and harmful toxins, the Desitin Rapid Relief Diaper Rash Cream is a premium quality baby skin-care product that offers quick and effective relief. Forming an instant protective layer, this cream glides on smoothly and helps nourish and soothe the skin, offering relief from irritation and redness. Tested and approved by dermatologists, this cream ensures instant results in just the first use. Crafted for protecting and keeping your baby comfortable every day, this cream is hypoallergenic, lightweight and safe on sensitive skin.
6Balmex Diaper Rash Cream
Known for its highly effective healing properties, the Balmex Diaper Rash Cream offers optimum protection from 3 major diaper rash causing issues. Ensuring your baby stays comfortable and rash-free, this cream protects the skin from wetness caused by diapers, chaffing of skin and digestive enzymes that are usually found in dirty diapers. Thanks to its advanced formula including Vitamin E and B5, it relieves the skin from discomfort, while providing a soothing, nourishing effect that heals the rash completely, preventing it from returning.
5Honest Company Diaper Rash Cream
The Honest Company Diaper Rash Cream is a high-quality rapid treatment that’s formulated to instantly provide relief to your baby’s skin. Creating a protective shield, this cream soothes the skin and helps in reducing redness and irritation. Formulated with organic Shea, coconut, jojoba, and tamanu, this cream includes non-nano zinc oxide that prevents and reduces inflammation. All-natural, effective and reliable, it glides on smoothly and provides quick comfort that your baby needs. Made from organic ingredients that have been certified and tested, this cream is non-toxic, mineral and plant-based and hypoallergenic.
4Babyganics Diaper Rash Cream
Including a high-grade blend of zinc oxide, jojoba, calendula and aloe, the Babyganics Diaper Rash Cream is uniquely crafted to treat and heal babies with diaper rash. Tested by expert dermatologists, this cream is non-allergenic and ideal for all skin types including extra sensitive and delicate skin. Featuring an all-natural blend of NeoNourish Seed Oil, plant-based extracts and Vitamin A, D, and E, it not only nourishes the skin but helps in soothing and supporting baby’s skin, preventing discomfort. Free from parabens, mineral oils, phthalates, artificial fragrances, petroleum, and artificial dyes, it helps seal out moisture and protects chafed skin caused by diaper rash.
3Diaper Rash Cream Spray by Boogie Bottoms
The Diaper Rash Cream Spray by Boogie Bottoms is one of the most unique and highly-efficient baby care products of its kind. Thanks to its special spray-on formula, it does not require rubbing and is great for using on-the-go. Creating a protective shield for your baby’s skin, it does not run or cake and stays in place till the next diaper change. Ideal for babies with sensitive skin, it is free from parabens, fragrances, and dyes. Intended to treat and heal diaper rash, this cream spray also protects chafed skin while sealing out moisture as efficiently as possible.
2Mustela Diaper Rash Cream
The Mustela Diaper Rash Cream is a premium quality, clinically tested baby care product that contains 98% natural origin ingredients. Known for its 3-in-1 properties, this cream prevents, relieves and replenishes your baby’s skin, leaving it nourished and soft. Safe for newborn babies, this cream helps in providing quick relief from redness and irritation right from the first use. Including zinc oxide, this cream helps in protecting chaffed skin that is caused by diaper rash, while keeping our moisture and wetness.
1Weleda Diaper Care Cream
Formulated to nourish and moisturize your baby’s soft sensitive skin, the Weleda Diaper Care Cream aims at providing relief and protection to dry and atopic skin. Offering optimum protection against moisture and dampness, this cream helps in maintaining a soothing balance that boosts the development of your baby’s skin. Approved and tested by expert dermatologists, this cream is highly recommended for those babies who have hypersensitive skin. Overall, it is one of the most effective diaper rash creams the market has to offer right now.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
Diaper Rash Cream Buying Guide
Before we delve into the specifics of what makes a decent diaper rash cream, we should perhaps establish that there are different types of rashes and that they can have multiple causes. Depending on what type of rash your baby may develop, you can proceed with finding the suitable cream that will both pacify and soothe your baby to some extent. Not just that but you should also understand that different creams have different application requirements and that some are easier on the skin than others. With that in mind, let us find out what different types of rashes your baby may develop and what exactly causes them to begin with.
Types Of Rashes
- Irritant Dermatitis – Children who develop irritant dermatitis do so as a result of having consistent wet skin. This causes a certain level of skin contamination from urine and stool, to the point where children develop the rash around their tighs.
- Candida Dermatitis – This is the type of rash that children get from a candida virus and yeast infection. It can also surface as a result of wearing a tight diaper for too long or from having a wet diaper for too much time between diaper changes. When children develop such a rash, it is advised that the parents also seek out a doctor’s opinion and perhaps employ a diet change for the babe.
- Allergic Dermatitis – As the name suggests, this type of rash appears as a result of an allergic reaction caused by the textile components in the making of some diapers. Not just that but some manufacturers also use synthetic fragrances and additives, which may trigger an allergic reaction in some babies.
- Bacterial Dermatitis – This particular rash is caused by bacteria and occurs when the skin is irritated or showcases small cuts or abrasions. This can either be the result of abrasions from intense rubbing or from a previous non-bacterial rash that wasn’t dealt with properly.
Causes Of Diaper Rash
Among the most common causes for diaper rash, we find the presence of stool and urine as the most likely culprits. Now, depending on your baby’s skin, the rash may be an irritant or a bacterial one, each with their own specific treatments. Not just that but some babies also develop skin rashes because of chafing or rubbing along with having to wear diapers that are a little too tight. On a related note, bacterial rashes are sometimes related to this, on account of how they develop in the initial stages.
Consider The Diet
Noy many people realize this but rashes can also be caused by a baby’s diet, especially if the baby regularly eats something that increases the risk of infection. This can also be caused by the introduction of a new type of food in the baby’s diet, something that the baby’s digestive system is not yet used to processing. Not just that but the use of antibiotics may also sometimes cause the baby to develop certain allergies, especially if they are paired with a poorly balanced diet.
Symptoms Of Diaper Rash
Perhaps the most common diaper rash symptoms are pink spots or marks that appear on the baby’s skin around the nappy area. When this happens, the baby usually exhibits a stinging sensation when passing urine, a sensation that cannot be alleviated using just common remedies. It is also possible for babies to suffer from some degree of inflammation in the diaper area. In this regard, some babies may exhibit blisters and tender skin patches, a tenderness that usually involves a lot of itchiness.
Choosing A Diaper Rash Cream
Finding the perfect diaper rash cream is no easy task, not with all the variety of choices the market has to offer these days. Now, a good strategy would be to choose reputable brands when making a purchase, because there is usually a reason why these manufacturers enjoy the popularity that they do. If that’s not enough to convince you, then perhaps you should take the time to read some of the customer reviews of each individual product to get a better understanding of just how effective they are.
- Vaseline Is Important: Always choose a diaper rash cream that employs Vaseline as a base component. This is because vaseline possesses a lot of skin-soothing properties that may also work toward calming the baby’s inflamed skin in the event of irritation. Not just that but vaseline-based creams are also proven to provide much faster relief, regardless of the type of rash your baby suffers from and without suffering any restrictions depending on the type of rash.
- Look For Soothing Creams: Regardless of the type of rash your baby suffers from, always look for creams with soothing properties. You see, babies love soothing creams, especially the kind that are gentle on the exposed areas of the skin. More so, soothing creams are shown to provide secondary benefits not just for the areas of the skin affected by the rash but for a variety of other skin-related afflictions that may be causing your baby distress.
- Sensitive Skin Options: A decent diaper rash cream should be efficient regardless of the type of skin, the type of rash, or the type of diapers being used. To ensure that you’re getting the right quality, ensure that the product is a cream and not an ointment. We say this because ointments work differently when applied to the skin. On a related note, creams are much better at providing long-lasting protection against rash reappearance at a later date.