If you are in the market for a car cover that you can depend on, you should know that even though they aren’t exactly pricey, there are still clear differences between high-end covers and budget versions. In this respect, a good car cover should protect the car not just against the elements but also to provide basic insulation for the vehicle at all times. Then again, you can expect most of the popular ones to do that and then some, provided that you purchase one of the more widespread covers the market has to offer right now.
It also wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say that the right cover can save you an awful lot of expenses maintenance-wise, and we’re not just talking here about washing and cleaning. As a matter of fact, good covers can and will protect your car’s paint job in the long run if used correctly. That said, not all car covers are built to the same standards, with some being obviously better than others. To find out which ones we’re talking about, take a look at the ten best car covers money can buy right now.
Best Car Covers – Reviews
10Carsun Car Cover
Measuring 188 inches long, 67 inches wide, and 57 inches high, the Carsun Car Cover offers optimum indoor and outdoor protection for your vehicle. Made from high-density 190T fabric, it offers enhances breathability and keeps your car away from moisture, mold, and corrosion. Designed for all-weather use, it ensures your car is safeguarded from harmful UV rays, dust, bird droppings and dirt. Thanks to its elastic hem around the base of the cover, it keeps your cover intact and protects the car from strong winds.
9Xtrashield Custom Fit Honda Civic Car Cover
The Xtrashield Custom Fit Honda Civic Car Cover is a durable, all-black protective layer that safeguards your vehicle from dust, dirt, bird droppings and the harmful rays of the sun. Offering optimum breathability, this cover is not waterproof but offers water resistance to a degree. Equipped with 2 custom mirror pockets, this cover comes with grommets on each side for cable locking and offers a snug custom fit. For easy storage, it comes along with a carry bag that allows you to store the cover safely when not in use.
8Titan Lightweight Car Cover
Designed especially for mid-size SUV cars including Ford Explorer, GMC Acadia, Jeep Grand Cherokee and more, the Titan Lightweight Car Cover measures approximately 206 inches in length. Offering protection from water, dust, dirt, bird dropping, and UV rays, this sports utility cover comes with a reflective sunscreen that safeguards your car both indoors and outdoors and is scratch resistant. Thanks to its unique design that offers easy access via a zipper on the driver door, it comes with click-close straps that ensure the cover stays intact. For added protection, the cover features security loops at the base to keep it from blowing off during strong winds.
7TopSoon Silver Plastic Car Cover
Made from premium-quality 100% polyethylene, the TopSoon Silver Plastic Car Cover is engineered to provide optimum indoor and outdoor protection against dust, dirt, liquid, leaves, pollen, rain, and debris. Measuring 264 inches by 144 inches, this cover can fit most cars that measure up to 22 feet long. Offering full coverage and a snug fit, this car cover is lightweight and comes with an elastic band at the base that ensures the cover stays secure and in place, especially during windy days.
6MATCC Waterproof Universal Car Cover
Crafted from 210T high-density PVC nylon fabric, the MATCC Car Cover protects your vehicle from scratches, dust, extreme heat and cold, leaves, bird droppings, snow, sand and more and is resistant to water. Featuring robust straps with an adjustable buckle, it comes with two-line stitches that keep the cover in place during strong winds. Including fluorescent reflective strips on the front and side of the cover, it allows you to park safely at night. The side-view mirrors are protected with special pockets while the silver coating on the entire cover helps safeguard the vehicle from UV radiation.
5Color Rain Time UV Protection Car Cover
Made from weather-resistant high-grade fabric, the Color Rain Time UV Protection Car Cover is designed specifically for Sedans measuring between 191 inches to 201 inches long. Equipped with a durable elastic pendulum and adjustable buckle, it offers a snug fit and ensures the cover stays in place during strong winds. Resistant to wear and tear, it is built to offer protection from leaves, dust, branches, snow, frost, and dirt. Thanks to its anti-silver coating, it offers high heat resistance and protects the car from harmful UV rays and strong temperatures.
4YIBEICO Car Cover Scratch Resistant Outdoor UV Protection
Equipped with elastic hems at the base and double-stitched seams, this particular cover fits snug over cars measuring approximately 200 inches long. Equipped with a cable lock and strap, it comes with an added buckle that protects the car from strong winds and keeps the cover from blowing off. Made from high-grade materials, it offers protection from harmful UV rays and is perfect for indoor and outdoor use. For easy storage, the cover comes with a carry bag along with an antenna patch.
3XCAR Breathable Dust Prevention Car Cover
The XCAR Breathable Dust Prevention Car Cover is designed to fit most cars measuring 200 inches long including Sedans. Featuring double-stitched seams with durable elastic hems, it offers a custom fit. Equipped with a special cable lock and adjustable buckle, it keeps the car protected from strong winds and ensures it stays in place and does not fly off. Made from high-quality fabric that is resistant to UV rays, it protects the car thoroughly and works great both indoors and outdoors.
2Classic Accessories Sedan Car Cover
Light in weight and compact in size, the Classic Accessories Sedan Car Cover fits all sedans that measure up to 175 inches in length. Thanks to its zipper side, it allows quick and easy access to the driver’s door and comes with a reinforced antenna patch. Made from heavy-duty durable materials, it offers maximum protection against dirt, dust, and debris and keeps the car safe from harmful UV rays. Including scratch-proof grommets, this cover comes equipped with an elastic hem at the base that ensures you get the best fit while keeping the cover intact.
1Leader Accessories Car Cover
Making it to the top of the list is the Leader Accessories Car Cover – a high-grade universal fit protective layer designed for all types of cars. Crafted and designed from superior quality eco-friendly fabric with air holes, it offers optimum breathability and is resistant to moisture. Ideal for indoor and outdoor use, this car cover offers protection against dirt, dust, sand, leaves, bird droppings, and harmful UV rays. Thanks to its strong buckles and straps at the base of the cover, it helps keep the cover on even during the strongest gusts of wind. For a custom snug fit, the cover features a durable elastic hem at the bottom that goes around the car perfectly to give you full protection.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In A Car Cover
If you live in an area where there is a high possibility that dust, dirt, and pollen might set upon your car, then you should definitely consider investing in a car cover if you haven’t already. Now, it needs to be said that it isn’t just the people who park their cars outside that employ car covers but also a big number of people who cover up the car whilst inside the garage. You may not see them, but dust particles are everywhere and they have the potential to seriously damage your car’s paint job unless you do something about it. With that in mind, let us find out what characteristics to look for when buying a car cover and what exactly to avoid.
Types Of Car Covers
For the most part, car covers come in three different sizing categories – universal, ready-fit, and custom-fit, each with their own particularities. While universal car covers are designed to approximate the shape of an average car, they lack the tightness that’s sometimes required to ensure that your car is protected from the elements. With ready-fit covers, you get a slightly better version of universal covers, in the sense that they are built to match the type of vehicle in regards to the overall shape. Custom-fit covers, as you might have guessed, are usually designed to meet the exact specifications of whatever car you own.
- Universal Car Covers – These types of car covers are made to fit most of the common car models out there, be them small, medium, or large vehicles. Perhaps the greatest benefit these covers provide is the inexpensive purchase price, which recommends them as the ideal purchase for anyone who only wants a temporary solution for their car-covering needs. Bear in mind that these particular covers are usually rather loose and that you may want to improvise a way to make them fit your specific car.
- Ready-fit Car Covers – A ready-fit cover, unlike the universal model, is cut to match the type of vehicle that you own. This doesn’t refer to the exact car that you have but rather to the general form of the vehicle (hatchback, pickup, van, SUV, etc). It should be said that these covers may have their drawbacks but they can be expected to deliver a much tighter fit than universal covers. Not just that but they are also widespread and easy to come by, meaning that you won’t have to wait around for an exact fit if all you want is a quick cover.
- Custom-fit Car Covers – As the name would suggest, these covers are custom-fit to match your exact car to the last detail. A bit harder to come by, these covers provide a perfect fit for your vehicle and deliver the highest possible standard of protection. The only real issue with these covers is that custom-made designs usually require that you wait around for a while until the cover is built. This may vary between a couple of weeks to a couple of months depending on the manufacturer.
- Indoor Car Covers – Regardless of the fit type, you also have to consider whether you want an indoor-only cover or a more versatile model. With indoor car covers, you get the type of cover you can use to cover your car when parked inside a garage, shop, or other covered parking area. The main purpose of this cover isn’t just to protect the car against the elements but also to safeguard it against physical threats that might end up causing damage to the paint job or to the structural integrity of the car itself.
- Outdoor Car Covers – This particular cover is intended for cars that are commonly parked outside. As such, their main goal is to protect the car against not only dust and rain but also pollen and whatever impurities the wind might blow over. For the most part, these covers are water-repellant yet breathable enough to avoid condensation underneath the cover. It needs to be said that most of these covers are crafted with multiple layers to keep out impurities and to also provide a reasonable standard of UV and thermal protection.
- Car Capsule Covers – These types of covers are inflatable by design and made to wrap up the car in a nice bubble of sorts. Sometimes referred to as ‘capsules’, these covers are built out of plastic inflatable components that have the purpose of encapsulating the whole car in a tight fit. Perhaps the main benefit of these types of covers is the near-perfect seal they provide when compared to most of the standardized car covers the market has to offer.
One should also consider the construction of a car cover, mainly the textile materials used in its making. Many manufacturers employ fabric-synthetic microfibers because of how sturdy and durable they are but also for their water-repellent properties. Others use cotton for its smooth and lightweight properties, a design that’s pretty much perfect for indoor use. Bear in mind, however, that the choice usually comes down to location, mainly if you plan on parking the car outside or inside a garage or covered parking area.
A decent car cover should protect your vehicle not only from UV rays but also from heat and rain. At the same time, the cover needs to insulate your car against snow and ice if you live in a particularly cold area, which isn’t exactly a standard you can expect from low-end car covers. You will find that good covers also safeguard the car against hail, dust, and dirt, as well as providing a sturdy barrier against physical scratches and bird droppings.
Last but not least, we should point out that the lining is very important for a car cover, as it determines how softly it will wrap up the car when you put the cover on. It is therefore important that you choose a cover with a soft lining, preferably one that’s made out of fleece, polypropylene fabric, microfiber, or woven nylon. On a related note, try to look for a car cover that’s advertised as being gentle on the paint job for obvious reasons.