Most of us use deodorants and antiperspirants nowadays and for good reasons. For the most part, these products are relatively safe and guaranteed to rid you of any unpleasant odors and BO that might be troubling you like many others. It is well known that some people sweat more than others, so it isn’t always poor hygiene that makes people smell, especially during the summer season when it is practically impossible not to sweat.
Although not all antiperspirants are guaranteed to be free of hazardous chemicals, most of them meet reasonable protective standards. The main reason why some are preferred to others is because of their formula, one that can incorporate certain ingredients that some people have adverse reactions to. It is for this reason that you have to take a close look at the comprising ingredients in any antiperspirants you plan on buying.
With that out of the way, all that remains is that you figure out which product best suits your needs, not just for blocking excessive sweating but also to do so without exposing you to any health risks. In this respect, the market has quite a lot to offer, with antiperspirants and deodorants of a fairly wide variety. To help you find a good one yourself, we put together a list of the ten best antiperspirants money can buy along with a short guide to help you through.
Best Antiperspirants for Men – Reviews
10Every Man Jack Cedarwood Deodorant
This Cedarwood based deodorant by Every Man Jack is a great pick for its uniquely sweet scent above all else. It should be said that its formula contains choice cotton extract, making it boast a sort of foaming action that won’t leave any residue on the clothes. It is for this reason that it is regarded to provide an all-day long protection against undesired body sweat and nasty odors. We should also point out that its formula is made to be very skin and attire safe.
9Polo Black by Ralph Lauren
Created by the world-renowned Ralph Lauren design house, the Polo Black is an incredibly nice men’s deodorant. It features a unique blend of tonka bean, iced mango, silver Armoise, patchouli noir and Spanish sage. Ideal for casual wear, Polo Black is a highly effective, alcohol-free deodorant that does not irritate the skin but moisturizes it. It also keeps you fresh and protects you from body sweat and odor throughout active days, which recommends it as one of the very best in this price range.
8Armani Code by Giorgio Armani
A product of the popular Giorgio Armani, this is a very welcoming men’s deodorant. It features a quality blend of apple, woods, cumin, citrus and lavender scents. A nice choice for romantic wear, the Armani Code delivers more than your expectations, with its cool, rejuvenating scent and effective sweat, odor protection while you perform your daily tasks without the fear of sweating through your clothes. Then again, this is exactly what you should consider every time you buy a deodorant or antiperspirant of any kind.
7Baxter of California Citrus & Herbal-Musk Deodorant
A highly appreciated product thanks to a professional blend of rare quality ingredients, this men’s deodorant by the popular Baxter of California brand delivers on its promise. It boasts an alcohol-free, aluminum-free formula, thus suitably safe for even the most sensitive skins. Moreover, it never stains your attire but offers especially sweet masculine scent—a citrus and musk blend. It also provides excellent protection against body sweat and odor to last all day long. This recommends it as one of the best alcohol-free antiperspirants out there, a formula that is becoming more and more popular nowadays.
6Mitchum Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant
Ranking as one of the best antiperspirant deodorants for men, this Mitchum’s formula is a very special one, what with it being among the few unscented choices available today. For those who need their other perfume of choice to remain active, this is the antiperspirant deodorant to go for. It has medically certified ingredients to ensure it doesn’t irritate the skin but still offer a full day’s protection against sweat and embarrassing odors. The fact that it is very easy to apply is also worth mentioning because more often than not, affordable antiperspirants are quite difficult to apply.
5Old Spice High Endurance Pure Sport Deodorant
Old Spice is a world-renowned brand, and their Pure Sport Men’s Deodorant does not disappoint. It is an effective, high endurance formula that was created to suit the athlete desiring to stay smelling and feeling fresh and dry, however hot the game gets. It delivers a fresh, appealing scent of confidence and victory, helping you up your acumen in a way that helps you work out harder and without any BO interfering with your training schedule.
4Jack Black Pit Boss Antiperspirant & Deodorant
With the Jack Black Pit Boss, you get a high-quality men’s deodorant you can count on. Most worth mentioning is its particularly flavorful yet discreet masculine scent, one that boasts a gentle formula which offers excellent protection from body sweat and odor for well over 24 hours. It also does not irritate the skin and leaves zero traces of residue on the skin or clothes, making it perfect for people who like to change clothes during the day.
3Degree Men Dry Protection Antiperspirant Deodorant
This premium quality antiperspirant deodorant can keep you fresh and dry for nearly 2 days thanks to an ingenious formula containing a clean moderate scent and some light citrus hint for good measure. For those long and busy office days, working out, or playing sports outdoors, this is the deodorant you can rely on for proper protection against annoying body sweat and odor. Furthermore, we should point out that it is designed as a easy applicator stick, as elegant as it surely is.
2AXE Antiperspirant Deodorant Stick
Featuring an expertly blended formula that keeps you smelling wonderful and feeling dry for hours, this men’s antiperspirant deodorant by AXE Phoenix effectively eliminates your body odor thanks to its cool, refreshing scent of coumarone, citrus, and lavender geranium blend. A really reliable choice for man’s daily wear, it is a high-quality deodorant that delivers over 24 hours of remarkable armpit sweat and odor protection, which is definitely something to look for when buying an antiperspirant. Combine that with an impressive long-term efficiency and you will understand why this particular antiperspirant enjoys its current popularity.
1Dove Men+Care Antiperspirant Deodorant Stick
This is perhaps one of the greatest solutions for those of you who fancy wearing deodorants of long-lasting freshness. The Dove Men+Care Antiperspirant Deodorant stick boasts an innovative formula that offers better skin protection, along with a form that makes it very easy to apply. This particular antiperspirant is designed to offer up to 48 hours of sweat and odor protection, without posing any health risks for your skin. At the same time, it oozes a refreshing and rejuvenating scent that keeps you feeling cool and confident throughout the day.
Can’t Find What You’re Looking For? Check these suggestions:
What To Look For In An Antiperspirant
Given the sheer volume of what the market has to offer, you are surely bound to eventually find a good antiperspirant if you go looking, The problem, of course, is that you may have to buy a few until you find one to best meet your needs. The main problem people run into when buying antiperspirants of any kind is the lack of any guarantee that it will work as advertised. Not only that but low-end antiperspirants can also pose a serious risk to your health through the sometimes hazardous chemicals they contain.
Deodorants Vs Antiperspirants
The main difference between deodorants and antiperspirants is that deodorants are formulated to control the growth of bacteria in your sweat while delivering a pleasant scent to mask any odors it might miss. Antiperspirants, on the other hand, aim to reduce how much you sweat through a formula containing aluminum salts that dissolve into your sweat to form a gel barrier over your armpits. It should be said, however, that many people consider antiperspirants to be somewhat dangerous for the sole reason that it impedes your body’s capacity to cool itself down via sweat.
The Health Risks
Like we said, the fact that antiperspirants contain aluminum compounds makes them quite unsafe for some people, especially those who suffer from skin problems. These compounds act as irritants that can cause people who are affected by eczema or psoriasis to experience a certain degree of discomfort. It is therefore recommended that you first apply a small dose on the skin when buying a new antiperspirant before using it regularly. This way, you find out if your skin displays any adverse reactions to its formula and to better assess how much you should apply on a regular basis.
If you go looking, you are bound to run into ‘natural/organic’ antiperspirants sooner or later, which are supposed to offer an alternative to aluminum-filled antiperspirants. These organic products use alum and mineral salts as a replacement, which is bound to reduce or even eliminate the risks of irritation. We should point out, however, that these alternative formulas don’t really have the same efficiency as aluminum-based antiperspirants. Not only that but the zinc substitution they sometimes contain can be just as irritating as aluminum for some people.
Choosing The Right Formula
Due to the hazardous nature of some of the chemicals used by antiperspirants, it is recommended that you take the time and learn about what the most important ones do and what to avoid when buying an antiperspirant for yourself. For the most part, antiperspirants can be used without any real issues, unless of course, you suffer from a skin condition. Even so, you still want to glance at the comprising ingredients before making a purchase for a number of reasons. So before getting an antiperspirant, you should first consider:
- Do you have sensitive skin? Because if you do, you should probably stay away from any aluminum-based antiperspirants and deodorants as a rule of thumb. Like we said, you can find plenty of organic/natural antiperspirants for the job, most of which guaranteed to be relatively effective. We say this because although quite diminished, their effects are still noticeable when compared to NOT using an antiperspirant or deodorant, yet less efficient that aluminum-based products.
- How much do you sweat? If you are the type of person to sweat a lot during the day, then perhaps you should invest in an antiperspirant with a time-release formula. These antiperspirants have a delayed effect that acts out throughout the day, long after most antiperspirants have stopped working. The reason why you shouldn’t use such a product if you are a normal sweater is because you might cause yourself a fair bit of harm in the long run as your sweat glands get exposed to clogging elements.
- Do you need antimicrobial agents? You see, some antiperspirants are packed with antimicrobial agents that have the purpose of slowing the appearance of odor-causing bacteria within the sweat itself. Also referred to as ‘heavy’ antiperspirants, these products have a long-term effect that recommends them for people who work in a crowded environment where they are likely to sweat a lot during the day.
- Scented or unscented? You also want to figure out if you need a scented or unscented antiperspirant because they tend to work somewhat differently. While unscented antiperspirants have a more ‘clinical’ application, scented versions are slightly more popular on account of their pleasant smell. Bear in mind that scented products may clash with fragrances or they may cause adverse effects depending on your body chemistry. Not only that but some people are quite sensitive to fragrances of any kind, yet in dire need of an antiperspirant nonetheless.
- Which type of antiperspirant to get? Last but not least, you also want to think about how you would like the antiperspirant to be applied. We should remind you that antiperspirants come in the form of gels, sticks, roll-on liquids, and sprays. Although they all seem to have the same effect, for the most part, keep in mind that you have to apply such a product directly on the skin. We found some people have a hard time applying roll-on liquids for some reason while others take issue with creams and gels. Not only that but hair can also impede a product’s efficiency, which is why most men prefer sprays and sticks for obvious reasons.